“Great food in a funky setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Silly's

Silly's
Ranked #53 of 607 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: can you change the hours closed Monday and Tuesday wed thurs fri 11-9 sat and sun 9-9 I can't get it to work..thanks colleen
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Great food in a funky setting”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The menu includes a good mix of vegan, vegetarian and meat options. The garden in back is shady and the side wall consists of old doors painted in rainbow colors. Menus, napkins and salt and pepper are hidden in a plastic lunchbox on each table. The food was great and the atmosphere added to the experience,

• Visited July 2013

Newfields, New Hampshire
“great family find off the beaten path”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

On our way up north, my family and I stopped in to Silly's in Portland ME. A little bit outside of downtown Portland, Silly's is located on Washington Avenue which looks a little bit ragged. The building itself seems pretty small but we must have arrived just before the rush as there was a couple of seating options for all seven of us.

The menu is fairly large and varied and seems to have a greek flair for many of the dishes. Lots of lamb, feta, spinach and olive dishes available. Choices between sandwiches, wraps, burgers, and pizza. B/c we arrived at noon on a Saturday, brunch options were also available. My wife and I and my two older girls ordered off of the regular menu while the other three ordered off of the kids menu. I got the Greek Havoc a lamb/pork burger, while others ordered a BLT wrap, an open-faced turkey avocado bacon sandwich and a pulled pork burger.

When the meals came out, all of the portions were fairly large except the kids buttered noodles which seemed much smaller than the rest. The food itself was delicious, my lamb/pork burger well seasoned with plenty of vegetables and fixings. The hand cut fries were also especially good. Had we not eaten so much, I would have loved to tried the milk shake. My only complaint was that the lemonade tasted like Crystal Light and I would have liked something more authentic.

I'd recommend Silly's to anyone looking for a lunch that offers some unique and tasty choices.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Enjoy_NH
Maine
“Quirky, well kept secret with delicious original recipes”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for a standard traditional, conservative restaurant, Silly's is not going to be your thing. If you're looking for something creative and original you will want to find Silly's. Silly's is an off the beaten path favorite of locals. We (my 10 year old, 12 year old, and I) are vegetarian and very rarely all agree on a restaurant, except Silly's. I absolutely love the zombie burger, it's an explosion of flavor in every bite--jalapeño peppers and pineapple--yum! The hand cut sweet potato fries are delicious but don't eat more than half of your entree, you will want to save room for dessert. Delicious cakes are baked daily. The vegan chocolate is my favorite. If you go in the summer be sure to sit out on the patio and order the sangria. If you go in the winter you will enjoy the unusual photos decorating the walls. A personal favorite is the one of Nixon an Elvis shaking hands. Love, love, love Silly's.

1 Thank Sheri M
Wells, Maine
“Such a cool place!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The number of interesting menu choices is unmatched anywhere in the Portland area. You have to keep going back so you can try them all. Chicken in a boat was fabulous! Greek burger was perfect! The Nutella Dulce de Leche pie is something I'm going to attempt to replicate! Go. Try everything. Enjoy!

2 Thank foodiegirl625
Oakland, California
“Great vegetarian variety!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I visited this place twice over one weekend -- once for dessert, once for lunch. The menu is perfect for anyone with dietary restrictions: vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, etc.

For the dessert, I ordered the Vegan Cocoa-Doodle-Do, which is a white flour tortilla stuffed full of vegan chocolate cake, chocolate syrup and soy ice cream, then fried & served with a side of soy ice cream & dusted with cocoa. It's a lot to handle, but so delicious, especially for chocolate lovers like me. My wife had the Sweet Dreams, which is fried sweet plantains, maple syrup, toasted pecans, toasted coconut & a dash of cinnamon. It was almost like a bananas foster -- so sweet! Each dessert was around $7, which is a little pricey, but worth it for the unusual yet tasty treats.

We came back for lunch a few days later, and the food was just as good. I had the The Cactus Jack pizza, which had spicy salsa, herbed tempeh topping, vegan cheddar and mozzarella, spinach, caramelized onions and tomatoes. It had a very unique taste, though I think a non-vegan cheese would've tasted better (but then it wouldn't be vegan, obviously). My wife had a custom-made pizza, which also satisfied her appetite. We each got shakes as well, which were fantastic. The service was a little slow, especially considering it was a Sunday at 3 PM, but again, worth any kind of wait.

2 Thank Ezra B

Been to Silly's? Share your experiences!