“The best lobster bisque - period!”
Review of Old Port Tavern

Old Port Tavern
Ranked #217 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Four of us popped in on a hot July day for lunch. Touring Portland for the day as part of our new england/Canada cruise. Both couples ordered the same. Bisque and fish and chips. The waiter cautioned us about the size so we split two bowls and two fish and chips between us. There was more lobster meat in the bisque then I had ever seen before. It was great and so was the service.

1  Thank mrjazzbeau

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The Old Port had a honky tonk feel with mermaids and fish tanks for decor; and it went down hill from there. Our waitress was very reserved and never even bothered to share her name. She was not very attentive even though few tables were seated. The clam chowder had good flavor and was creamy but the chuncks of potato were twice the size of the clam :( I also had a sm chicken cesear salad. Very ordinary. The chicken had a rubbery texture and the crotons were clearly out of a box. Basically never going back.

1  Thank Sarab2884
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Over the years, we have dined at the venerable eatery in Portland's Old Port section. Last Friday June 14, 2013 our primary choice was booked up so we took our friends to The Old Port Tavern thinking it was a safe alternative. It was about 8pm and the place was pretty much empty except for the bar.
The waitress , her name was Page, was pleasant, friendly and perky just as we had hope for. We each ordered something different. My wife ordered a large salad and the crab cake app. the others the Lobster Mac &Cheese, large blow of Lobster chowder & I ordered A med rare Prime Rib. Fool proof I figured.
Well The Prime was delivered to me well done, so the waitress took it back and apologized profusely and returned with a new Med Prime and an offer of a free desert. I kept it because everyone was eating, but I was not happy. My wife's crab cakes were so bad I could not recognize if it was indeed crab or another meat not including fish. The Lobster Mac & Cheese had so little Lobster it was a joke, & the same went for the lobster chowder.
I must say the Cheese cake was ok.

With all the competition amongst restaurants in this town I fear that the OPT is soon to become a distant memory of days gone bye unless something changes soon.
M&K

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Only place we went to in all of Portland that we got cold service. We sat at the bar and felt that we were an annoyance to the bartenders.
Feel of the place is more pretentious than you would expect.
Menu was very limited. We ended up ordering an appetizer and some wine, finished that and left. Even the appetizer was not all that good.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Old Port Tavern used to be "THE" place to go for dinner. So when every other place in town was booked up with Prom and Saturday night revelers - I made reservations here. Should have known when we arrived a little after 6PM and the place was empty that something was amiss. A very nice waitress tried to put on a good front and was very attentive without being obtrusive.
The house wine was excellent and I was thinking 'Oh well'.
That's when I tried to order a fillet minion - which used to be the signature dish of the Tavern' - and found they didn't even carry it (it's advertised as a steak house also)
So instead, I ordered mussels and a salad and partner ordered Marsala and a salad.
That's when things went downhill. My mussels were buried in some curly pasta, 4 of which had yet to open, with caramelized onions that were floating in way too much liquid making them more like boiled onions. If there was a dipping sauce (normal with mussels) it was more like a thin broth and tasteless.
There must have been a run on pasta that night as partners selection was also buried in way too much. As was the other couples selection.
For the dinners, the price was out of sight and certainly not in keeping with what was served.
This had to be one of the most disappointing dinners ever, and considering we selected this to enjoy with our out of town guests, we could not recommend it ever again.
It's really a shame as they have decorated the place exceptionally well and obviously invested substantial monies. Too bad their menu doesn't meet the rest of the decor.