“Confusing”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dana Street
Description: Cinque Terre is dedicated to the exploration, discovery, and celebration of northern Italian cuisine and wines. Executive Chef Skawinski tirelessly seeks out the finest products from local and Italian purveyors and producers. At Cinque Terre taste matters. Our handmade pastas, fresh seafood, fine meats, gelatos, Italian wines and housemade desserts make dining at Cinque Terre a memorable event.
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are Portland Maine locals and decided to spend a day as tourists starting with whale watching followed by dinner at a new (for us) restaurant. I hadn't been to Cinque Terre for a number of years and finally found the new entrance. I expected to find a nice quiet white tablecloth restaurant. We did only after walking through a recent addition that was more casual and bar like with oldies music piped in and a very casual atmosphere. We were told that the old restaurant had been physically merged with the new section but the menu was the same. I'll admit oldies on the sound system was a bit jarring when seated in the older section of the restaurant. Service was exceptional. Our server recommended great wine choices and was very attentive to our needs. The food ranged from fair to good and just a hair short of excellent. My braciole tasted ok but was tough and the cheese inside was unmelted. My wife had the ravioli special and was pleased with her choice. All in all not a bad dinner but we the next time we play tourist in our home town we will try another restaurant. There are too many in town to settle for less than terrific.

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I never had a salad that I could not finish .... It even cross my mind that they had an accident with the paper mill in the kitchen ! Then I order sword fish , it was ok and so was the desert ... Nice ambience and good service ..... In general I am not impress at all with the food in Portland !

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Physiological decision I was hungry and they gave me food. Good city for fun drinks and visit , but , food? They have very good natural and food resources and I hate to say, what a waste...... Sorry tomorrow I will try Hugo restaurant and see what happens. Hey! Beautiful place and great people, fantastic temperature in summer! Come to Maine !

1  Thank Pablo D
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My wife and I were walking around Portland on a Wednesday evening and, not finding any place we wanted to eat on the waterfront, passed Cinque Terre with its tiny outside eating area. I had been here ten years or so ago and liked it. Inside, it was quite active for a mid-week evening and we were led through the restaurant, out the side door, to a very nice little dining area which faced the street. When the weather looked threatening, our waiter comforted us by lettting us know that there were saved tables inside in case of rain-- which did happen after our salad.

On to the food, we shared the farm salad, which was made from greens from the restaurant and was nicely dressed. Modest in size I have yet to get used to spending $10 for salads, but that's the going price in many places. My wife then had the pizza with sausage as her entree. Thin crusted and excellently prepared and presented ($18). I eat few fishes and like to try swordfish at different places and, by far, this was the best ($28)! It was a modest portion but adequate, nicely grilled and perfectly prepared. Often I find restaurants (and me) will add the taste with a salsa or other sauce, this came lightly marinated and delicious -- like a wee prepared sirloin in texture and flavor but without the density.

I would return for it... and maybe try to replicate it at home.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I don't usually give five stars to restaurants, but this one deserves it. We dined here on good recommendations from friends, and had four wonderful meals. We had been told it was one of the top "farm to table" restaurants, and we agree. The main courses were all prepared to perfection, and served with fresh vegetables and grains. The bread got such raves, that even though I'm gluten free, I had to taste it. The server was attentive without being obnoxious, and our water glasses were always filled. We were able to see into the cooking area and were very pleased at how clean and orderly it was. There was a lively bar scene but it didn't interfere with us at all. We would definitely go back.

1  Thank Lynda F