“Pleasantly surprised”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have been nervous about trying a Chinese restaurant ever since I moved to Portland because I have found that Chinese restaurants are either very good or horrible. I love Asian food but hate to try new places. Panda Garden is located in a shopping plaza which didn't make me think it would be much of a restaurant. It is small but clean. The employees were pleasant and attentive. Our family of 4 tried four different dishes and all were excellent. We also had the wonton soup which was very good. We were served iced tea and crispy wonton strips before our meal and watermelon and fortune cookies after the meal. An excellent experience and we will definitely go back.

2  Thank loveagoodplacetoeat

Reviewed December 14, 2012

My family has been coming here since I was about 12 years old. The staff are extremely friendly and accommodating, and are happy to serve large groups. They knew my Grandfather by name. Their house tea is delicious, and in the summer's the make an iced version of it. I've never had a bad meal here, and the food is top quality. If you've never gone, you have to try it out.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My experience with Chinese restaurants is spotty at best, and I am never really sure what I am eating. However at Panda Garden the food is really good and the service is great. I usually go at lunch time and get one of the lunch specials, which are numerous. For $7.00 you absolutely can't beat it. Great soup and a great lunch with main course, rice, appetizer and endless tea. The best value around and the best Chinese restaurant North of Boston.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you go there before 4 pm, you can order from the lunch menu. Many choices priced $6.25 or $6.75. Your meal comes with an appetizer (their choice), soup (your choice), entree, tea (iced tea in the summer), and a fortune cookie. If you want iced tea outside the summer season, you pay $1.75 extra. When you first sit down, you are given a bowl of wide flat crispy noodles and duck sauce for dipping.

Twice I ordered the shrimp with garlic sauce--large succulent shrimps, broccoli, water chestnuts, fried rice. The third time I ordered this dish, the shrimp were smaller. Once I ordered the shrimp with lobster sauce which was tasteless. Once I ordered the sweet and sour shrimp which came with a way too sweet red sauce with a little piece of pineapple and several cherries. Egg rolls are plump, won ton soup is very good, crab rangoon is so-so (they are better at Siam Square also in Westbrook). Oddly, lo mein is served with fried rice. For the price, I will try other dishes.

Service is good; water glass is re-filled even when you don't need it. Can accommodate groups; will give separate checks.

Located in a mini shopping center across from Lowe's. Enter the parking lot from Brighton or Taft Streets.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Panda Garden is the best Chinese restaurant around. Lunch specials are excellent and you still have leftovers. Staff is always nice.