“Good lunch”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Had a great lunch here. Actually had the seafood chowder which is authentic and delicious. The restaurant was quite noisy but saying that there were a lot of families with younger children so that was inevitable. However there was a great family atmosphere so it is a good family restaurant. Service was great although the restaurant was busy. The only criticism I would have was the room temperature which was cold probably due to bein a little over enthusiastic with the air con. Other than that, great, will visit again next time when we are in the area for sure.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were in Portland on a cruise and our tour guide recommended Gilbert's. If it is a nice day, eating on the waterfront patio is nice but quite busy at lunchtime. The service is very good and the food is exactly what you would expect; tasty lobster roll, crab cakes and excellent steamed clams and fresh oysters. Gilbert's is not fancy but very authentic.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

While in Portland we went to Gilbert's Chowder House because we wanted to try as many chowders as we could and the place was always packed, which we took as a good sign. We settled on the seafood chowder and it was fantastic. Rich, creamy, loaded with shrimp, clams, haddock and lots of lobster. A meal in itself. They've won numerous awards and it shows. The place is small but the wait not long. They have a variety of chowders and stews and other seafood dinners, sandwiches, salads. The staff was great, made excellent recommendations, and very attentive. Eat there!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had read about Gilberts on tripadvisor and it's location at the Portland cruise pier made it a perfect choice for us. When we arrived the small dining area was very crowded. We were told there were also tables outside and as we made our way through the place a high top table was empty and we just sat down which was fine with everyone. We started with whole belly clams that were ok but nothing special. We then had the fish chowder which was something special, just delicious. Actually I could have forgotten about the clams altogether and just gotten a big bowl of the fantastic chowder.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

As soon as I saw this place I knew I wanted to try it. I am drawn to anything called a chowder house. We stopped in for lunch and got two bowls of the Clam Chowder and an order of fried Maine Shrimp with a local hard cider to wash it all down. I could not have been more pleased! The chowder was thick, loaded with clams and just downright tasty. The Maine shrimp was sweet and perfectly cooked. I loved the outdoor seating with umbrellas to shade the sun. I wish we were in the area longer – I would have been back for another taste of their other chowders for certain! I highly recommend this place!