“Tough Mudder Weekend”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed August 28, 2014

Crazy busy Sunday late afternoon. A line out the door, no tables inside or out, or bar seats. Put my name on the list and was told there would be at least a 30 min wait unless a couple of bar seats became available and then we could help our selves. The hostess was a "no-show" but the woman who took my name was polite and 'to the point". 10 minutes later we were seated. End of a busy weekend, locals were every where (still wearing there uniforms from other restaurants) so I figured the food & drinks would be good. My 1st choice of beverage was not available but the recommendation of my server was great. We had clams, oysters and a Reuben. Had to be the best food we had on our trip.

1  Thank vtkelch100
Write a ReviewReviews (1,664)

Reviewed August 27, 2014

A simple oyster bar, serving very fresh and tasty oysters at a nice price. Just a remark on serving: oysters should be opened more carefully, avoiding shell chips to finish into the meat.
Lobster roll is not among the best I had.

Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

We decided to try their apps. Started with the Oysters. Very good, topped off with a spicy Bloody Mary.

On with the crab stuffed mushrooms... Delicious!

The Pan steamed mussels left a lake of garlic infused oil that was perfect for dipping the Hawaiian rolls they served.

Finished off with the Lobster stew!

J's was a great food experience!

Reviewed August 24, 2014

Being in Maine we ate quite a lot of lobsters. This was the best "lobster feast" we had. The bonus was that it was also one of the most economical. The baker's dozen oysters were only $18!!!! My wife and thoroughly enjoyed that meal.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

My wife and I chose this restaurant based on the Trip Advisor reviews...Once again, we were not disappointed!

We arrived after 1pm on a busy Saturday and found ourselves at the end of a long waiting line for a table. I spied 2 empty barstools and quickly claimed our territory. Once at the bar, we were quickly taken care of. Or server/bartender was nice and friendly. She was patient, despite being slammed and answered all of our questions gracefully.

My wife ordered the Lobster Salad with Slaw and Potatoes- AWESOME. I enjoyed the Lobster Roll with Chips. I was amazed at how simple the food was, and how TASTY! Fresh Lobster meat on a grilled hot dog roll with lettuce and a packet of Mayo- I was in heaven! No "Lobster Salad mixture" here...Just good, honest food. We also had a dozen raw oysters- soooo fresh and shucked in front of you.

Doesn't seem like there is a better time to try to get in- just show up and take your chances. Look for a barstool- it makes the experience better, listening to locals and watching people. The service is fast at the bar. Its a hole in the wall, but the character and REAL food speaks for itself!

A don't miss, in my book!

Been to J's Oyster? Share your experiences!