“Service so poor food not worth the wait.”
Review of J's Oyster

J's Oyster
Ranked #22 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
“Service so poor food not worth the wait.”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Never expected such a lack of hospitality and order displayed by a hostess. The place is small and dirty -mostly bar seating with a handful of tables; which we and the other six people waiting in line found out was not part of the waiting list. Our 30 minute wait allowed us to observe the food service that was it for us. Spare yourself the trouble skip J's Oyster!

• Korean first
Lynn, Massachusetts
“Very good food, cozy atmosphere”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Recently visited Portland for 2 days and someone at our motel said "go to J's..!!" Even though I dont like oysters myself, I knew my husband would love some and i also knew i could find a great cup of chowder or something for myself ;) Neither of us left hungry, that's for sure, and the food was very very good. We shared a bowl of chowder, and ordered a lobster roll, oysters on halfshell, and a nice tuna sandwich on rye. Our waitress was SO friendly! Parking area is very small so we used the pay- lot next door ($5 an hour... not great but FOOD makes it ok!!) I'm sure we could've chosen a better place to park but we didnt know the area. We still will go again!

• Visited October 2012
Portland, Maine
“"hidden gem" more like coal”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I mostly take issue with the level of cleanliness and the quality of the food. It is a local "dive" bar that serves very fresh oysters, granted. But I don't enjoy eating in a place that smells like sewage, is always cramped, and if I want anything besides oysters, must settle for the frozen fries and TV dinner variety of fare. Thank God Eventide opened!

Visited April 2012
Los Angeles
“Best meal of a fabulous vacation”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

When we dreamed of eating steamers and lobsters in Maine in Fall from our sunny perch in California, this is what we dreamed of. There are locals, no pretensions and terrific food at a great price. If you want upscale dining, this is not the place for you. If you want great food and a fun, casual atmosphere, go here. I can't wait to go back. Thank God places like this still exist.

Visited October 2012
Perkasie, PA
“Great place on waterfront”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We asked our hotel staff where the locals eat and they recommended J's Oyster.

Its a small place, very cozy, staff was extremely friendly. The lobster roll, lobster scampi and lobster stew are excellent. Everything arrived hot and in a timely manner.

Outside seating was closed as its off season.

I would definitely recommend J's Oyster and will return upon our next visit to Portland.

• Visited November 2012

Been to J's Oyster? Share your experiences!