“Best Thai food ever!”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Truly a taste of it's own.....great flavor combos with sutle taste in every bite. Great selection of dishes and appetizers. Do not miss out of one of Portlands best restaurants!

Reviewed August 30, 2014

I had brussel sprouts and squid. The small plates vary in size -
these were big enough for a meal, but others had only a few bites.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

Fantastic food - I call it funky and yummy Thai - the Brussels sprouts appetizer is a must - if you don't like them you will now. Everything else was delish too - wish I lived in Portland so I could go to boda again and again!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Portland, Maine is earning a reputation as a foodie town, and it's not just for lobsters and fish. Go to Longfellow Square and you'll find several new, ethnic restaurants like Local 188 featuring Spanish inspired food, Pai Men Miyake for fabulous noodle dishes and what I call gourmet Thai at Boda. The Crispy Calamari was one of the best calamari dishes I've ever eaten -- light, delicate, tasty. Oysters were fresh, large and appealing.The Yellow Curry Jay with tofu and locally grown veggies was spicy, savory and filling. My Woon-Sen Pat Thai with Shrimp was done to perfection, with large, locally caught shrimp. Prices were very reasonable, service professional and prompt and the atmosphere conducive to conversation. We have been to Boda three times and have never left disappointed.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

My sister and I wandered into Boda recently during her visit.... we had been to Local 188 but got the "cold shoulder" at the door..... (see separate review) .... not so at Boda. We were welcomed right in and given a nice table along the wall on the upper level. I had been here a couple of times before, though it's been about a year, I think. Our waitress, "Emily," was pleasant and attentive throughout our meal.

For beverages we opted for iced water. We started our meal with shared appetizers: all of them were skewers: a scallop with bacon, a dates with bacon, and a pork belly in salt marinade with scallion. I think we liked the first one best. I had never tried pork belly before (and probably won't again). It is quite fatty and I couldn't get the grizzle down, so it ended up on the side of the plate. My sister didn't at all care for the pork belly. The date/bacon combo was good.... but overly sweet due to the dates overpowering the bacon a bit .... we enjoyed the soy sauce-based dipping sauce which came with them, to cut the sweet a bit.

For entrees my sister ordered the Kee Mao Noodles: a stir-fry with wide rice noodles with roasted jumbo shrimp, onion, tomatoes, peppers, bamboo shoots, Chinese broccoli and thai basil. She found herself picking out the greens, as they were crunchy vs. tender and not to her liking. The tomato in the dish was very fresh, and the dish overall had a nice brown sauce, and was quite enjoyable otherwise, and of good portion. I ordered the green papaya salad: with shrimp, green papaya, carrot, tomato, green beans, ground peanut, saw cilantro, and tamarind dressing- with vermicelli noodles. Honestly, I could not distinguish which item was the papaya, as most of the ingredients came shredded and combined, except for what appeared to be chunks of cabbage (but wasn't). I liked this salad for its unusual composition and flavors, and I liked that it sat over the tamarind dressing which sank to the bottom but was easily scooped onto my fork.

Boda is quite loud, so it was difficult to talk across the table: the room did not absorb the sound well. We also had to ask for knives, as they were not placed on the table alongside fork, spoon and cloth napkin. Emily filled our water glasses throughout, and all the staff worked very well in concert, delivering and clearing plates routinely as they walked by, and generally assisting each other in every aspect of the operation. At $48- plus tax and tip.... we felt this was a good meal at a fair price. I will go back.