“Boda: Portland's Gourmet Thai With Downeastern Twist” 4 of 5 bubbles

Boda
Ranked #17 of 601 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Tubac, Arizona
“Boda: Portland's Gourmet Thai With Downeastern Twist”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Portland, Maine is earning a reputation as a foodie town, and it's not just for lobsters and fish. Go to Longfellow Square and you'll find several new, ethnic restaurants like Local 188 featuring Spanish inspired food, Pai Men Miyake for fabulous noodle dishes and what I call gourmet Thai at Boda. The Crispy Calamari was one of the best calamari dishes I've ever eaten -- light, delicate, tasty. Oysters were fresh, large and appealing.The Yellow Curry Jay with tofu and locally grown veggies was spicy, savory and filling. My Woon-Sen Pat Thai with Shrimp was done to perfection, with large, locally caught shrimp. Prices were very reasonable, service professional and prompt and the atmosphere conducive to conversation. We have been to Boda three times and have never left disappointed.

• Visited July 2014

Portland, Maine
“Bodalicious !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

My sister and I wandered into Boda recently during her visit.... we had been to Local 188 but got the "cold shoulder" at the door..... (see separate review) .... not so at Boda. We were welcomed right in and given a nice table along the wall on the upper level. I had been here a couple of times before, though it's been about a year, I think. Our waitress, "Emily," was pleasant and attentive throughout our meal.

For beverages we opted for iced water. We started our meal with shared appetizers: all of them were skewers: a scallop with bacon, a dates with bacon, and a pork belly in salt marinade with scallion. I think we liked the first one best. I had never tried pork belly before (and probably won't again). It is quite fatty and I couldn't get the grizzle down, so it ended up on the side of the plate. My sister didn't at all care for the pork belly. The date/bacon combo was good.... but overly sweet due to the dates overpowering the bacon a bit .... we enjoyed the soy sauce-based dipping sauce which came with them, to cut the sweet a bit.

For entrees my sister ordered the Kee Mao Noodles: a stir-fry with wide rice noodles with roasted jumbo shrimp, onion, tomatoes, peppers, bamboo shoots, Chinese broccoli and thai basil. She found herself picking out the greens, as they were crunchy vs. tender and not to her liking. The tomato in the dish was very fresh, and the dish overall had a nice brown sauce, and was quite enjoyable otherwise, and of good portion. I ordered the green papaya salad: with shrimp, green papaya, carrot, tomato, green beans, ground peanut, saw cilantro, and tamarind dressing- with vermicelli noodles. Honestly, I could not distinguish which item was the papaya, as most of the ingredients came shredded and combined, except for what appeared to be chunks of cabbage (but wasn't). I liked this salad for its unusual composition and flavors, and I liked that it sat over the tamarind dressing which sank to the bottom but was easily scooped onto my fork.

Boda is quite loud, so it was difficult to talk across the table: the room did not absorb the sound well. We also had to ask for knives, as they were not placed on the table alongside fork, spoon and cloth napkin. Emily filled our water glasses throughout, and all the staff worked very well in concert, delivering and clearing plates routinely as they walked by, and generally assisting each other in every aspect of the operation. At $48- plus tax and tip.... we felt this was a good meal at a fair price. I will go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Hartford, CT
“Great Thai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

This restaurant was suggested by the staff at the Pomegranate Inn. What a delight, and my wife and I were glad that we listened. Not your typical Thai menu, and that's what makes Boda special. We started off with the Spicy Thai wings. Great taste, good kick and nice size wings. We then had the beef skewers, which were delicious. I had the Kra-Prao Chicken. Good taste, nice and spicy, good serving size. My wife had woon-sen pad thai and loved it. If you're in Portland you need to make this a priority.

• Visited June 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“Last minute dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

On vacation in Portland and we needed a restaurant close to our B&B. Based on a review from the B&B we decided to give Boda a try. This place is great. The menu is not large but what they offer is quite good. I would have to say it was the best Thai food I have ever eaten. Great food, great service and a great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Scarborough, Maine
“Fun bar, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stopped by for some appetizers and a drink on a Friday night, and really enjoyed the atmosphere and service at the bar. I had the pork belly skewer and the mussels, the mussels were truly outstanding with a delicious broth. I also enjoyed the house mai tai which was great! Would recommend to friends and will absolutely stop by again!