“PERFECTION FROM START TO END” 5 of 5 bubbles

Back Bay Grill
Ranked #1 of 601 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Portland, Maine
“PERFECTION FROM START TO END”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

And it starts the way it always starts, by calling and making a reservation with the finest GM this "reviewer" (and jaded New Yorker) has ever known, Adrian (who tends to every single aspect of the dining experience). It continues - as it did with my wife and me as we celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary there this evening - with outstanding service (by an old friend - Ian - who I would strongly recommend, if possible, as your server) throughout accompanied by truly exquisitely prepared and served food. Regardless of what you order. One word says it all: PERFECTION. I won't bother getting into the details only to say all the details of this outstanding restaurant are top notch all the way and consistently so! No small feat.

Thank you Adrian and thank you Ian.

Hudson, FL
“A Delicious End to a Delightful Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

We spent our last day in Portland touring the city, taking a railroad tour and visiting the art museum. We went to dinner at Back Bay Grill, which was an excellent choice. The owner greeted us at the door and our server was friendly and efficient. The food was delicious. We had read, at their website, about the free parking available in a nearby lot, but that wasn't necessary because street parking (no payment needed) was in abundance next to the restaurant. It was the perfect ending to a good day.

3 Thank Barbara V
“Wonderful service, atmosphere and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

The service was wonderful. The foie gras was the best I have had outside of France. The fillet was good but not amazing. Overall wonderful experience and you can sense the quality all around. This wasn't just one lucky experience, they know what they are doing. Go here.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank mwboyer74
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Top Notch Dining in Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I visited Portland ME for the first time this past weekend and had the extreme good fortune to have been directed to Back Bay Grill by a foodie co-worker in Boston. From start (calling to make a reservation) to finish (as we departed), our experience was top-notch and professional (and also warm and friendly) in every facet. First, do not be put off by this restaurant's less than desirable location away from the old Port. We chose to walk from the old Port, and on the gorgeous evening that it was, it really is quite an easy walk. The restaurant is totally charming both inside and outside - small, intimate and appealing. We were warmly greeted by the manager and directed to a perfect table in the main dining room. From there, we experience nothing but highly professional service and excellent food. The restaurant has a small but interesting craft cocktail menu (which we sampled) and a fulsome and relatively reasonably priced wine list, and we got some great advice from our server who directed us to a fabulous Oregon pinot noir. We had the Maine crabcake and a rabbit pastry dish for first courses followed by the rack of lamb (with surreal "potato salad") and duck breast for entrees - both cooked to medium-rare perfection. We split a semifreddo dessert (excellent) which was presented tastefully with a small candle in honor of my wife's birthday.

I can't say enough about the professional service - dished whisked away promptly, wine poured regularly, food served at an appropriate pace - such a pleasure to experience. This place means business in terms of customer service. We have many tremendous restaurants in Boston but I am of the belief that many of them get over-hyped by the press and often fail to live up to high expectations in terms of both service and food quality. Not so at Back Bay Grill. I thought that I would never find a restaurant that I enjoyed as much as Hen of the Wood in Waterbury VT, but Back Bay Grill is right up there with the best of them. I highly recommend it.

1 Thank Rick H
Portland, Maine
“First time there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

After a recommendation, my boyfriend and I decided to try it out and the experience was great!! They have a real appreciation for food with great customer service. Adrian, the manager, was fantastic and so was the bartender Liz (we only sat at the bar). We ordered crab cakes because we had eaten previously but we definitely got more than we asked for! First, they sent out an amuse bouche which was a smoked salmon mousse inside a light, puff pastry. They gave us sourdough bread and butter and then our crab cakes came out, which were cooked perfectly! They were decently sized, with the right amount of crunch and filling. We then had truffle popcorn which was offered at the bar which was very tasty for anyone who enjoys popcorn, you could eat it by the handfuls. Afterwards we got a caramel bourbon ice cream dish for dessert which was also delicious. This is a place that really focuses on the love and craft of the food, without the stuffiness feel, and above and beyond great customer service! I would recommend this place to anyone!!