“Happy diners”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I had a delicious dinner and wonderful experience here 2 nights ago. It was very early by necessity, so we were not terribly hungry, but had a delightful and very satisfying meal of salads and appetizers. Being a salad lover, I thought the greens/Stilton and arugula/goat cheese salads were both nice combinations and very delicious. We both had the lobster ravioli appetizer as our main plate - again lovely and a generous portion for an appetizer. I succumbed to dessert, a lovely and yummy combination of fresh blueberries, ginger mousse and berry sorbet.
From the moment we arrived, the manager was very friendly and accommodating, and our waitress was delightful and quite helpful with her recommendations and explanations. She was spot-on with her recommendation of a nice bottle of wine, when I described what we were looking for. So good, I will be ordering some at my local wine shop! so good, that we finished it all and had to order a glass of prosecco to get us through my dessert!
Finally, the bite-size chocolate truffles she brought us were a perfect, surprise ending to a wonderful evening of fine food and wine in an energetic, yet cozy atmosphere. We will definitely be back if we get back to Portland!
Finally,

2  Thank CamdenVol

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We visited this restaurant based on markedly positive reviews on Tripadvisor (and elsewhere) and because it was convenient to where we were staying. It is always difficult when something has to live up to "rave" reviews and very high expectations and Back Bay Grill didn't quite do it. Yes, food very good, but lacked a "wow" factor. We've had just as good elsewhere (and better at another restaurant in Portland). We also found the restaurant to be quite noisy. But the real downer on our visit was the service--adequate, but nothing special. After being seated, we waited over 10 minutes before anyone came to our table. There also seemed to be an unusually long gap between the time our drinks were served and when someone came to take our order. Finally, when the bill arrived, we discovered our waitperson had over-charged us by $8.00 on one of the entrees. No place is perfect, but with these kinds of reviews and at these prices, we expected better.

1  Thank ancienthiker
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Ate here for the first time tonight. The host and all the staff were friendly and attentive! The lobster ravioli was delicious as were the scallops and salmon. We did not have dessert but that also looked great. This restaurant gives you both quality and quantity! The presentation was super! You could tell there were many regulars there which speaks to the quality of the restaurant. Would definitely return next time in Portland! Thanks for a wonderful night!

2  Thank Heather K
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 4, vegetarians, 11 & 12 year olds. They could not have been more accommodating! First the bread was a mix of whole wheat and white flour served with a super rich creamy butter. We had a fettuccine with mushroom appetizer and a mixed green salad with Stilton and candied walnuts. Both dishes were full of flavor and service was impeccable. They let us pick from the menu to put a vegatable plate together of whipped potatoes with a corn sauce, roasted chanterelle mushrooms, asparagus, roasted beets and fennel risotto. It was so incredibly rich! The atmosphere was Manhattan chic once you are in the door (outside was a bit shady) would highly recommend!!

2  Thank Napamoon
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have to agree with the other reviews on this site. My husband and I just returned from dinner at Back Bay Grill and it was one of the best meals we have had. I was not very hungry, but I ate most of the popcorn given before the meal and then had the lobster ravioli. My husband ordered the lamb two ways, cooked to perfection and served with potatoes, cauliflower, and beans. Everything was absolutely delicious. I will definitely recommend it to my friends who may be visiting the area.

2  Thank kim j