“5 star cuisine!”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Be sure to make reservations at this unbelievable restaurant. It is not to be missed when you are in Portland. We were greeted warmly and seated immediately in a cozy window-lined alcove next to the bar. The staff worked seamlessly filling water glasses, serving a complimentary "tasty bite" before the appetizer and then the main course. There were 7 or 8 entrees to choose from - fish, pork, beef, chicken and vegetarian selections. We started with a delicious crab cake that told us we were in for something special. The cast-iron seared scallops with fiddleheads, pickled ramps, etc was absolutely the best meal I have ever had in a restaurant. My husband had the pork chop with an amazing sauce and vidalia onion mashed potatoes. He couldn't say enough about how wonderful they tasted. The staff interacted so well together that it wasn't until the end of our dinner that we realized that two of the four people who waited on us were actually the owner and his manager Adrian. It was so obvious that everyone who worked at the Back Bay Grill loved their job. We felt the prices were quite reasonable given the high quality of the cuisine and the amazing service. Don't wait for a special occasion!

3  Thank GramC8410
There are newer reviews for Back Bay Grill

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I went to Porltand last weekend and went to the Back Bay Grill not only once but twice! Had such a wonderful dinner on Friday night we went back again on Saturday. The wait staff were friendly, efficient, and it was obvious that they all worked well together. In addition to that the food is phenomenal. The scallops were some of the largest I've ever seen and delicious. You're able to have a relaxing evening as you are not rushed out of the restaurant. Only wish I lived closer and could go more frequently.

2  Thank Moetenns2000
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful dinner here on a Friday night. From the phone call to make reservations to leaving after our meal, this is a class act! We were made to feel like the staff wanted us there and they were all gracious and welcoming. We wanted to share a soup and an appetizer and they actually plated our portions separately with no charge. Fantastic light potato leek soup with shrimp, asparagus salad with a "crispy" portion of goat cheese (that stole the show!), and entrees were amazing. They also start you off with a tiny bite, in our case a curried deviled egg. At the end of the meal, we were too full for dessert but they brought out a tiny cream puff which perfectly satisfied my need for something sweet. I would highly recommend this cute place. Loved the open kitchen with a glowing rack of copper pots above the counter. Just a great experience overall.

1  Thank tntcyclist
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Want a place to celebrate an event and have everything is perfect? Excellent food, matched wine and service that is seamless? Hmmmm, in Portland, ME which has the greatest number of restaurants per person of a city over 50',000 people - Larry Matthew's Back Bay Grill is that
Place. Have tried all the high end restaurants in the Portland metro area, Back Bay Grill is the best

1  Thank RobOlson
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Amazing Burgers, Tartare, truffle oil popcorn... This makes it sounds like a run of the mill joint. It is not. Classy, fine dining, and manager Adrien is in a class of his own. (He remembered my name on my second visit, my first visit was months prior...) Tasty wine list, amazing, high quality and interesting dishes, excellent and not pretentious service make this a stand by for a great meal in Portland.

5  Thank Wish_I_Were_There_10
BackBayGrill, Manager at Back Bay Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for your glowing review. We hope to see you again soon.