“Don't miss this one.”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I must start out this review by stating that my wife and i have eaten at a lot of good places. Some were outstanding. We generally appreciate good food and good service, but tend to be especially appreciative of small - but in many ways professional - services. Whenever we come to Portland, we almost always head directly to those places we are most familiar with, and every now and then, challenge ourselves to go to a brand new place to try it out. Some of our experiences have been good but not outstanding - as happened at the renowned Fore Street - and we don't return. Portland definitely has more than a handful of great places to eat.

To our delight, we have just now returned from a totally outstanding meal at the Back Bay Grill - and I just had to sit down and write about it before I went to bed in a state of euphoria. We started with the simply named "Arugula Salad", whose byline stated "Bucheron Goat Cheese, Salt Roasted Pear, Toasted Almonds". The greens were impeccably fresh and delicious and the pear was a masterful touch. I don't usually care for salad - especially in our cold northern climate where greens are often atrocious in the dead of winter. This salad made me want to order more - but alas we had dinner to eat. The menu tonight was an exercise in that it challenged us to plan the meal by exercising our restraint. The waiter, Ian was pleasant, informed, helpful, friendly and totally professional. There are a few things i try to keep in mind when reviewing restaurants and their personnel. The ability of the staff to accommodate small requests is one of those things which differentiate "good" from "outstanding" from "exceptional". Without going into the details, I must say that Ian is an exceptional professional - he did not miss a beat and I must declare that I have not run into this level of service in over 20 years! This includes the impeccable service we received in some of the best restaurants on our recent trip to London. We continued with a wonderfully done "Cast Iron Pan Seared Scallops" which again demonstrated the kitchen's mastery over the ingredients and individual preparation of each of the dish's components. Th "Lavender Marinated Duck Breast" came to the table rare as ordered - with a small sample of the meat done well on the side. This showed off the flavor of the lavender which came through in the rare slices and the flavor of the duck which came through in the well-done sample. The whole meal ended with us ordering the Caramel Ice Cream (I neglected to take pictures of this dish, having entered a state of gastronomic bliss at the point when it - and espresso - was served). It is too bad that I can only give this place 5 stars. t would get 10 in my book - it is head and shoulders above any of the restaurants we have eaten at in the last couple of decades I feel that this place should be a secret, but i owe it to the readers of TripAdvisor to know of this gem in Portland.

5  Thank foodster
BackBayGrill, Manager at Back Bay Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for your excellent review on TripAdvisor! We are delighted when guests can share their experience with others. Especially with such glowing remarks on how much you enjoyed your dining experience last night. We look forward to seeing you again.

~BBG

There are newer reviews for Back Bay Grill

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm so glad Fore Street was booked up, because we might not have discovered this somewhat out of the loop place. Parking was easy, and neighborhood is fine, just not in the thick of things.
The thing I loved here was the intimacy of the place, you can actually have a discussion with your tablemates, and not be in a large open room.
I had a pasta dish, pappardelle, like something you'd have in Tuscany. My Husband had the lamb and was very happy with it-I understand it's their speciality, although I can't imagine anything here isn't special. Our service was attentive. What more can I say?

5  Thank jeannette e
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was looking for a restaurant to take my Honey (my wife for 44 years) for our anniversary. I researched the restaurants for quite some time as I wanted to be sure it was a place for a romantic occasion. After talking with Adrian (the manager) for a few minutes, I was sure I made the right choice. He assured me he would reserve seating that we would be pleased with and we were. The lighting was perfect along with soft music in the background. The service is a team effort and it was done very tastefully without hovering over us. Erica, Jesse and Ian took care of our needs professionally. Now regarding the food. My wife and I both agreed our meals rated among the best we've had. My wife is a vegetarian and she had their agnolotti (pillow pasta) stuffed with roasted parsnips (she said they were so sweet) and topped with arugula, roasted beets, roasted crispy parsnips and finished off with parmesan. I had the yellowfin tuna that was done to perfection also. We will be returning for our 45th. You must try this guys, I guarantee your wives will love you even more.

4  Thank Dennis C
BackBayGrill, Owner at Back Bay Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you Dennis. We all at Back Bay Grill are glad that you had such an enjoyable experience. We look forward to seeing you again next year for your anniversary!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This may be a little biased as my exerience covers 20 plua year dining at the BB. While the ownership has changed the quality remains at the highest standards. I use BB for professional dinners and for those special nights out and as the resturant of choice when you want a good meal.

Adrian ensures that everything is perfect, the wait staff is very knowledgeable and the owner chef keep a fresh and rotating menu featuring local ingredients. You can't go wrong with the Duck or the lamb and the signature steak is to die for. A great wine list can be augmented with requests if you give them a little notice and the local is funky urban.

If you eat here often you'll eventually rub shoulders with most of the business population of Greater Portland and the dress ranges from casual to formal so come and relax with family, friends with a great group of people dedicated to making your night a great dining experience.

5  Thank Mike N
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had dinner here prior to delivering our guest to his surprise birthday party. The restaurant went above and beyond in helping us fool our friend into thinking dinner was his only celebration! It made it all the more special that they really cared about why we were there! Our server was very knowledgable about the menu and helped with our food choices. He was on top of our needs all night without being overbearing. The wine prices were very reasonable with a good selection. We were very happy with the experience and will definitely return.

5  Thank droppinout