“Great place for seafood”

Susan's Fish-n-Chips
Ranked #142 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stopped by one day and had the fish sandwich special. Then we came back a second day for the lobster roll and chowder. Everything was great. Susan's is not a fancy place, it just has great food.

There are newer reviews for Susan's Fish-n-Chips

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Local dive that offers exactly what the sign says: Fish-n-Chips. Have to hand it to them, though, the fish is fresh and very, very good. It is freshly breaded (as you order it), and flash fried to perfection.

Portions are HUGE, so order with caution. It's definitely a good dinner place. Although, I wish I'd gone a bit earlier to not feel bad about eating fried fish so late.

Try the scallops and haddock nuggets.

The clam chowder was a bit weak, but the rest of the fish made up for it.

1  Thank SteveDeanDC
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I came here on two separate occasions over the course of the weekend. We had lobster roll, clam chowder, seafood chowder and a clam-strip roll. It was delicious!!!! In particular the seafood chowder was AMAZING!! It was full of fish, lobster pieces, etc and was not thin at all.

The place has a nice atmosphere, casual and even has outdoor seating. We will return to this place every time we find ourselves in Portland.

If you love seafood, this is a MUST.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Arriving at the restaurant was a little off putting. The garbage dumpster is out front, and the temperatures in Portland have been around 90. The smell was pretty darned bad. Once indoors, the temperature was stifling. The food was excellent but we did not enjoy as much as we would have if we dined in comfort. It felt like eating in an oven. The food, fried whole belly clams, fried clam strips, seafood chowder and fries were excellent. The staff was also very nice. I can understand all establishment do not have a/c in Portland, but at least invest in some fans and place around the dining room to circulate the air for the patrons. Luckily for us, there were few other patrons. I'd hate to imagine the place jammed with patrons and the additional body heat that would have been there. If rating on the food alone I would rate a 4, but a proprietor should be taking their guests comfort into mind as well.

1  Thank Rhacknc
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been going to Susan's since I became a Mainer some 15yrs ago. I bring family n friends here for one reason everyone loves the seafood its fresh and done right every time. In the summer set out back. While the decor has only changed once in all the years I've been you dont come here for the decor.