“Excellent food, location. Service level doesn't match the food quality.”
Review of Fore Street

Fore Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I'll start by saying I had about one of the best meals I've had in a long time (definitely doesn't top Five Fifty Five on Congress St. though) at Fore Street. I was pleasantly greeted upon entering and given the time a table would be ready. This was nice, versus a time frame. I sat in the bar with my guest and had a glass of wine. Service in the bar area was great. Polite, efficient. Drinks were definitely overpriced.

My meal was truly unbelievable. I had the trio of pates/foie gras for an appetizer. Very good, I highly recommend this if you are a foie gras fan. I followed with the Duck breast as my main entree. The Duck was really very good. I asked the waitress how the chef recommended the duck be cooked and she replied, "Medium". The Duck I received was a little closer to Medium/Well. Other than that it was very good, however when spending as much as you are in this restaurant you expect everything to be perfect.

The waitress suggested to us that we only order 1 Veggie to accompany our meal as it's enough to share. When we received the fiddleheads we ordered, it was in the smallest little cup I've ever seen. She apologized and we ordered a 2nd, but she wasn't aware that this dish was smaller than the rest.

In a restaurant of this class, I've already mentioned that I would expect things to be at a certain level. I'm a Hospitality Management School graduate with a concentration in Restaurant Management. One thing I know not to do is spray down a table with cleaner with someone eating at the table next to you! This happened continuously throughout our meal and all I could hear was the noise that spray bottle kept making. What is this McDonald's? That was really the only true "service issue" I had, however it's such a big one I only rated the service a 3. It's such a simple common sense thing, it amazes me they don't do it differently.

1  Thank Andy4390
There are newer reviews for Fore Street

Reviewed April 19, 2009

What a beautiful restaurant! The open kitchen was a lot of fun to watch. We were there for a 5:45pm reservation, and the beautiful sun illuminated the entire restaurant. Our server was prompt and we never had to wonder where he was, all of our needs were anticipated, thus made a stress-free dinner. For dinner I had the Atlantic Cod with a apple bacon aioli. It was fantastic. My husband, a lamb fanatic, was thrilled with his choice! Dessert was great as well. The total bill including 2 entrees, 3 glasses of wine, 2 desserts & tip was $130. We are already planning our next trip to Portland so we can go back!

1  Thank Tilly&Kyle
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I had the pleasure of dining at Fore Street on a Sunday April 5th. I was vacationing in town with my wife after seven months in Kuwait. We had a no dificulties getting a reservation 5 days in advance. We showed up a little early for our 7 pm reservation. We were promtly seated and were givin plenty of time to order. The waitress was excellent and so was the food. I had the hanger steak with black eyed peas and my wife had a huge ribeye steak. Both steaks were cooked as ordered. We received extra bread while we waited. The atmosphere was nice. It was very warm on a rather chilly evening and we got to watch the chefs prepare the salads and other dishes from our table. We had a nice bottle of Merlot with dinner and the garlic mashed potatoes were outstanding. My wife and I enjoyed a nice romantic dinner. It is conveniently located just around the block from the Regency Hotel. If you are looking for a romance I recommend the Old Port section of Portland Maine.

Reviewed March 3, 2009

Simply amazing.

Reviewed February 18, 2009

While the service was exemplary, the food was not. The mussels were plump, but the almond butter sauce needed more garlic and salt and pepper. The pork loin was huge but was overdone in some spots and not cooked enough in others. Even with extra gravy, it was tasteless. No wonder they have salt and pepper on the table. The blue fish was cooked fine in some spots and raw in others. The atmosphere is fun, and they try hard to please. I would not go back.

3  Thank notrip