“Excellent”

Fore Street Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is a special occasion place as everything is al-a-carte and expensive. It was well worth it as the food was exceptional. The staff is very knowledgeable about the dishes and the way there were prepared. Special requests were graciously prepared. Reservations are a must.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

THis is probably mu favorite restaurant in Portland. There is always a wait and the bar is always full, but the wait is worth it. Everything that I have ever eaten has been cooked to perfection. THe wine list is very good and the service is always excellent, provided by local friendly people.

Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I am not a big food person. I love to eat but not into heavy sauces or unhealthy food. This had to be the best place I've ever eaten ever! The service was good, staff very laid back and friendly. The food came out quickly and everyone of us were in shock. Portions were large and delicious. Really delicious. I'll come back to Portland just to eat here again. Worth standing in line for.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

For years, Fore Street has been a favorite and we've eaten dozens of wonderful meals here. It can be difficult to get a reservation as tourists have heard the reviews and flock there. We returned for a late reservation on a January Saturday night. And I wrote a review that panned the rude service and formulaic food. The structure and plan of the restaurant has remained, but the passion, spirit, and flair that made Fore Street a favorite has disappeared. After a late July visit, the review stands ... mostly. The service last night was really quite delightful. But the food, presentation, and plan remains formulaic. Too bad. It had been soooo good!

1  Thank Psp63
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Fore Street is in a very cool old brick and beams building, with an open kitchen and a big wood burning fireplace. A number of their dishes are cooked in the open fireplace. I heard they burn a cord of wood a week. Tough to get a table without a reservation, so we made one about 6 weeks in advance, still the earliest time they had was 8:15, which was fine.

My wife and I had a cocktail in the bar area, then were seated at a rather small table for two, fairly close to another couple, you almost could not help from talking back and forth. Some might not care for that but it was fun for us. I loved watching the fire, and the cooks were not all flying around 100mph, which I thought was relaxing.

The waitress talked us into a whole lobster which the meat was all pulled, mushrooms and veggies cooked in an iron skillet then inserted into the fire place. Very good even though the cost was $40 each, now if you want to pig out with big portions..wrong place to go. But we agreed just about right considering we went with a strawberry short cake for desert. A bottle of wine and an appetizer was $160. So budget watchers beware.

I would go back in a heartbeat.