“A Routine Visit is All Right With Me!”

Fore Street Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our third visit to this restaurant in three years. We look forward to a novel food experience and a nice time! We love the old warehouse or factory feel and the open kitchen is fun to see. This top-rated establishment saves 30% of their seats for walk-ins and since we come early, we've never been disappointed. The wait staff is helpful and attentive enough without being overly so.

1  Thank Wewah

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We liked the atmosphere but it was very busy and noisy. Service was pretty good. The most disappointing aspect was that my pork/veal chop (sorry but I had a lot of meals on this 3 wk trip and this was almost 3 mos ago.) I do remember though that it was served a little cooler that lukewarm. I should have said something but I did not. I would try it again if I am ever in Portland again. It is a pretty nice restaurant.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Several people have already commented on the reservation system and the way they finessed the system. I didn't like the system, because the people who arrived at 5 pm to stand in line were able to get the least desirable slots. Those who arrived later actually got better slots.

Staff (three of them) mentioned the the chef was named top chef in the Northeastern US by the James Beard Foundation. So, I expected a lot. I was somewhat disappointed. I expected close to perfection ....

PROS:
The restaurant is stunning with the cooking and preparation areas easily visible by the guests. You could see and feel the energy of the staff doing their work. Seeing the red flames in the oven cooking some of the dishes was exciting. Watching the poultry roasting on the spit was fun. (The Chef was not there the night we were there).
The menu is imaginative and diverse.
The bread was excellent.
The salad (mixed green) was outstanding.
The other guest ordered the duck cooked two ways and it was very good.

CONS:
Service was so-so. We did not get bread for about 20 minutes AFTER we ordered. Water did not get automatically refilled.We had to keep asking.
Twice the wrong dish (belonging to another table) was brought to our table.
Cutlery was not replaced when switching courses. I have no idea why they brought a serrated steak knife for the lobster (see next) whose meat was taken out of the shell.
I ordered the lobster dish. I was assured by the server that it was the dish to get. A mistake. The quantity of lobster served was about what you would get in a lobster roll, but it it was cooked unevenly and some of it was almost raw, while other parts were overcooked and chewy. Much less tasty than several of the lobster rolls I had in shacks the couple of days before.
The mushrooms that came with the dish were smothered (I could not tell whether it was olive oil or butter).
The side of fingerling potatoes was unevenly cooked, but the portion size was generous.

Overall, given what I had heard about the restaurant I had expected this to be much better than it was.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Fore Street was recommended by friends. We also wanted to patronize a restaurant that participates in the Taste of the Nation, No Kid Hungry Campaign. We weren't able to get a reservation even though we tried a month in advance but got the scoop on how to get in when I called. We did exactly as instructed and arrived at the door at 4:30. They reserve a third of their tables for walk-ins. At 5:00 our names were taken (we were the third couple in line) and we sat at the bar until 5:30 when our table was ready. The food was prepared with great attention to detail and was delicious. We did order the heirloom tomato salad that was the only thing we didn't find excellent. The tomato tart and mussel appetizers were superb. Our waiter was excellent and paid close attention to us throughout our meal. We highly recommend Fore Street. But be prepared, it's expensive.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Perfection is a really high bar and, as a general rule, I am want to use it in any context. That said, IMHO Fore Street is that rare special restaurant that deserves this superlative. Food, ambiance, service - perfect. Every option in the menu was a potential choice and choice was a hit. Wow!