“Best food experience in Maine”

Fore Street Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We spent a week traveling the coast of Maine. We had great lobster, steamers and awesome views, but without a doubt Fore Street was the best food of our entire trip. Do not miss it!

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I had no idea when visiting Maine that Portland was such a fabulous little city for food lovers! Fore Street is a wonderful restaurant, great atmosphere, beautifully done, and the food couldn't have been better.

The wait was quite long for a walk in at 8:00 pm on a Fri, but we sat in the couch area for drinks for about 45 mins and enjoyed conversation with other patrons until two seats were available at the bar (wait list seating for bar too).

Our waitress at the couches couldn't have been better! She was very attentive and helpful. Our waiter at the bar was not the best. He was not very friendly, a bit pretentious and not overly helpful with recommendations. However, this place is so great that we didn't let his attitude ruin our experience.

The menu changes daily, except for a few key items and everything we had, from salads to main courses was amazing. Portion sizes were large, everything was packed with flavor and cooked perfectly. And dessert...my husband, a non dessert lover, said this was the highlight of his meal. Dessert was just to die for.

For a high end dinner and such an overall great place, our bill was very reasonable. We loved Fore Street and can't wait to go again when we return to Maine!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Everything was amazing! My husband was hesitant to order chicken with so many more exotic options on the menu. It turned out to be his favorite chicken ever. I had black bass, which was delicious. The fingerling potatoes were excellent. It was an expensive meal for sure, but worth it. We shared a pear cake dessert, and it was the perfect end to a divine meal! I would definitely recommend this restaurant for special occasions.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I dined here with my girlfriend, in June. It was simply a magical experience, our server, Brian, was his name was simply an awesome server, being in food and beverage, I'm a chef and my girlfriend is a restaurant manager we were both blown away by his service and knowledge. We picked our way thru the whole menu enjoying a few main courses and a few appetizers and a wonderful dessert. The atmosphere was mesmerizing and we stayed literally until the place was closing down for the night. I cannot recommend Fore Street enough to anyone in the area. Even people from outside the area need to make this a destination for amazingly fresh food and amazing service.
5 stars all the way and will definitely be back any time I'm in the area.

1  Thank Rmg253
Reviewed September 13, 2013

By providing parking shared with the baking company in the back on Commercial St., Fore street helps the poor beleaguered diner looking for a space in full lots or on the street. My recommendation is make an early reservation, so there will actually be a space in that lot.

Enough about parking. This was my second visit to Fore Street in three years, and the quality remains top notch. Having gorged for three days and evenings on lobster, it was time for something from the land. Hanger steak, preceded by a pleasant but unremarkable organic green salad filled my need for red meat, done perfectly to my order. A companion ordered fingerling
potatoes to go with his steak, and there was plenty to share. Another companion chose what turned out to be a massive park loin chop, delicious indeed, a portion of that chop returned to the hotel for a heat up in the micro for another meal.

I had a Medoc which was reasonably priced, my companions both had beer. Service was good, the bread exquisite. We were too full,for dessert, the evening was an unqualified success. Bravo!