“Fantastic Dinner & Service!”
Review of Fore Street

Fore Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Vermont
“Fantastic Dinner & Service!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

When we walked into Fore Street, they immediately knew who we were (okay, I was a bride-to-be and wearing quite the get-up). We were seated promptly, and I was given the sweetest card thanking me for spending my bachelorette dinner with them. Quite the nice touch!

I had heard mixed things about Fore Street over the past couple of years, but our meals lived up to its reputation. From pork belly to mussels to barbecued squid for appetizers, everything was outstanding. 5 out of 6 entrees were fabulous; one person in our party didn't like, or eat, any of their halibut dish saying there was too much pepper and balsamic.

All-in-all a fabulous experience. The service was top-notch. Not stuffy, but attentive and had fun with us. Can't wait to visit again! Don't let the (few) negative reviews scare you away like I almost did...

Ashton, md
“Great place, expensive, worth it”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed one night in Portland and had gotten many recommendations for Fore Street. We were told they save 30% of the tables for same day reservations, and were usually booked weeks in advance. The trick was to show up a bit before 5pm and get in line to grab a same day table when they opened up the bar at 5pm. We got there at 4:45 and were about 4th in line, and chose to eat at 5:30 but we could have picked a later time.

My wife and I like "farm to table" restaurants, but the menus are always a bit odd because it always depends on what is available locally. We started with an excellent heirloom tomato salad for my wife and I had a very nice summer salad with mixed greens, goat cheese and fruit. My wife had the halibut which she said was phenomenal. I had a very good hanger steak, which is apparently on the menu all the time.

We were pretty full and did not try the deserts, but they had a nice assortment. The restaurant is right above a really good bakery, apparently that is where they come from. Service was great, decor is very nice. Prices are pretty high, especially considering that the entrees only include a tiny bit of side vegetables - you have to order sides - but overall it was worth it.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous! Long wait but worth it!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stopped in for dinner without any reservations, the wait was two hours, but we put our names in at the bar, which has a waiting list, which is nice so you don't have to fight with others over seating. The wait for that was about an hour, but the barmaid was came around and brought us drinks and there were couches and chairs to lounge in. Once we were seated the bartender was very friendly and fast. The food was fabulous as were the drinks, I always find it disappointing when you are out at a nice place and the food is good but they can't seem to mix a drink! The fish I had was cooked to perfection and my husband's duck was melt in your mouth delicious! Can't wait to return!

Visited June 2013
New York City, New York
“Disappointing food. Great service”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Mussels cooked in wood fired oven were delicious. Wild mushroom entree prepared in wood fired oven was not tasty because the mushrooms were undercooked and didn't allow what could have been great favors to come through. Also, many dishes had some cream in preparation that was only obvious from asking waiter, who provided great service.

Visited August 2013
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Me and my wife went here on a Thursday night for dinner. We have wanted to since moving to Maine and were completely disappointed with the quality of the food. The staff was excellant but there was nothing extraordinary about the cuisine. My wife order soup and chicken liver for an appetizer and I had quail and Risotto. The Risotto was too thick and over reduced and the quail not being deboned in any way completely lacked finesse. My wifes tomato soup was nothing special and lacked seasoning while half of her Chicken livers were completely raw. We never made it to an entrée. I recommend Hugo's over this for the money or going to Lewiston and eating at Fuel.