“Fantastic Dining Experience”
Review of Fore Street

Fore Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 617 Restaurants in Portland
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Fantastic Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My new husband and I dined here on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. Our waiter was amazing. We had a soup and the mussels appetizer to start. Neither of us really liked the soup, but the mussels were incredible. Easily the best we'd ever had, and we order them a lot. Our waiter noticed we weren't eating the soup and took it away for us, no charge! The bread was fantastic, baked fresh daily from the bakery below. I had hanger steak and he had halibut and both were delicious and cooked perfectly. Fruit cobbler and creme brulee for dessert also very well done. From start to finish and great and memorable dining experience. Highly recommended.

2 Thank Qino2

State College, PA
“Oysters to die for”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is by far my favorite restaurant in the state of Maine. The decor is warm and inviting, the service is incredibly friendly, and the food is just extraordinary- simple ingredients cooked perfectly. From the spit-roasted meats, to the raw oysters, to the chocolate desserts, this is food you wish you could have everyday. Good beer too.

Visited June 2013
Beantown
“Don't Believe The Hype!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We've eaten here a few times. I can't really remember anything memorable except the mashed potatoes. But our most recent visit here was particularly annoying. They set aside a certain percentage of their for walkins so arrive at 5 and put your name in. Well, I got there and was pretty close to the front of the line and it stretched down the sidewalk for quite a bit behind me. Upon getting to the hostess stand I was informed they could seat me at 6:30. I told them I wanted to come back at 9:00 and eat later. Get this, she then tells me to go to the back of the line and hope that when I got back to the front maybe they'd be seating for the 9:00 time frame! Now if I'm in the front of the line shouldn't I have priority choosing a time over the people waiting behind me?? Well, like an idiot, I comply and manage to get my name in for 9:30. She asks if we're going to wait for 4 1/2 hours or come back (yes, really). Anyway, when we return I got the foie gras for an appetizer which was quite good and the spit roasted rabbit which was so tough I could barely cut through it. None of their mixed drinks looked too intriguing but I picked one and was disappointed with it so I ordered a glass of wine with dinner. Now for my ultimate pet peeve, the minuscule wine pour in the gigantic goblet. The glass cost $9.75 and they made quite sure I didn't get a drop more than 5oz. I mean, c'mon seriously? It was so absurd that I mentioned it to our server who basically told me politely to go pound sand. I do have to admit the restaurant has a beautiful rustic look to it. Anyway, we'll definitely be trying someplace else next time we're in town. Kind of a shame actually...

1 Thank Clarky_Griswold
Olympia, Washington
“Spectacular Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

When we travel, we love to eat somewhere that really provides the flavor of the area. Fore Street is exactly that kind of place in Portland. The seafood is as fresh as you can get. The produce is all locally-sourced straight from the field to your table. If you want to taste Maine, this is the place to do it.

If there's one dish I would recommend, it's the mussels. Our son had the appetizer mussels as his entree. By the end, we were all fighting to sop up the last few drops of broth in their amazing bread. It's one of the best dishes I've tasted in a long, long time.

We were there with a six year old, but he seemed to be the only kid in the restaurant. It is definitely much more geared toward adults, but if you're kid is well-behaved and can actually sit in a restaurant for more than 5 minutes without needing to be entertained by a dancing anthropomorphic rodent, you'll be fine.

It's not exactly the cheapest restaurant in the world, but the value is good. If you're in Portland and want to get a great taste of Maine, you have to go to Fore Street.

1 Thank C_T_Neilson
Portland, Maine
“Great dining experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

What I loved about Fore Street was the open kitchen, delicious wine, and delicious food. I came for my birthday and had an excellent meal. Definitely a place for people looking for a place to go for special occasions, or those who like more upscale dining. The menu is diverse, and offers a lot of seafood if you are into that. Honestly, my favorite part was the foie gras I ordered for an app. May seems cliche, but they do it right here and it is a must order.

Visited December 2012