“The Tandoor is consistently good.”
Review of Tandoor Restaurant

Tandoor Restaurant
Ranked #246 of 622 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Indian
Madawaska, Maine
“The Tandoor is consistently good.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was in Portland for four months, years back and I happened to stumble in on the Tandoor. I was hooked. I worked in the Old Port so I was able to come back and eat lunch just about every day. I sampled all the meat entrees on the luch menu and never was disapointed. The meals are very affordable and you're given good portions of delicous food. For supper, I usually have the chicken tikki masala and a garlic naan.

• Visited December 2012

Portland, Maine, United States
“Ho hum”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lunch... shrimp curry and a vegetarian dish... nothing special.... a bit of an odd taste in the sauce... nan was good but somewhat greasy... service was a bit slow....

• Visited February 2013
Skowhegan, Maine
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants. We usually order nan and the butter chicken which are both delicious!

• Visited January 2013
Portland, Maine
“Better than ever!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Better than ever!

My family has eaten countless times at Tandoor. Its convenient location – right in the heart of the Old Port district – and blessedly tv-free dining room and cosy ambiance have always been good enough reasons to drop in. Besides which, we all love Indian Food.

But our latest meal there was a delightful surprise!

The menu offers the usual Indian fare and this time we didn't step out of our comfort zone and ordered butter chicken, lamb kebab, garlic naan and spinach saag. Wow! Our very first bite of naan stopped us dead in our conversation. (In a good way.) This simple Indian staple was supremely tasty. We'd no sooner begun that when our food arrived. The service remained attentive and fast throughout the meal.

Each meat dish was extraordinarily seasoned and excellent. Fragrant, subtly nuanced and well, simply scrumptuous. Markedly better than the more-than-acceptable food we'd eaten at Tandoor previously.
Our server confirmed that they have a new chef. May he or she remain happily ensconced there for years.

• Visited August 2012
Portland, ME
“Exotic atmosphere, great customer service”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Small restaurant, great dishes. Stellar customer service. I highly recommend the lamb vindaloo and coconut soup! The mango lassi is delicious! Perfect for first dates!

Visited March 2012