“So good, as always”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2013

As Portland locals we find ourselves at Ribollita about every six months or so. The food is so good, the prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is nice. Last night our appetizer was the local tomato special with teleggio cheese, it was amazing. I had the braised beef short rib with garlic mashed potato and my husband had the north end linguine with all of the seafood and a spicy red sauce. The food was great, the service was great; Ribollita is a favorite of ours. We'll be back soon.

There are newer reviews for Ribollita

Reviewed September 29, 2013

By far the best meal I had while staying in Portland. I had the braised beef short rib, which was delicious. My boyfriend ordered the veal with polenta. The portions were very large, which is good if you have a way to eat the leftovers. But since we were leaving Portland the following day, I was bummed to not take the food with me. I would've liked to try some dessert, but no room after trying to consume all of the short rib! We ordered a pitcher of the house wine which was also pretty good. It came out in a ceramic chicken pitcher, which seemed kind of funny. I would definitely come back if I'm ever in Portland!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

With one night out in Portland, I pored over all the restaurant choices and reviews. I didn't want LOUD like many of the famous places. Also wanted creative and local, but not "tiny." We arrived an hour ahead of our reservation, were greeted warmly and graciously, and seated! We found the space inviting and cozy, but not tight - the restaurant is divided into "rooms" which eases the spacing. Although aware of others, it was not obtrusive - we were early and it did get louder towards 7:30 when every table was full.
We shared antipasto - phenomenal, a summer salad and ribolita. The portions are generous, ingredients local, and we thought inspired. The wait between courses was not excessive for handcrafted food. My entrée was local white fish in a tomato saffron broth with (local) crab and mascarpone tortellini made in house. It was SUBLIME. We did not have room for dessert, but I was not leaving without some! We had maple mascarpone cheesecake - I did have to wait a bit for my coffee. Aside from that the service and food exceeded our expectations. To top it off, our bill was far less than what it might have been - wine, apps, dessert and entrees - just under $100 for two! We would go back in an instant.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

An old standby in an up and coming Neighborhood and food scene, with some pluses but increasingly not up to the competition. First the good. Big portions. Reasonable prices. Typically easier to get a reservation. The basics are good if not great. The downside, at least at our recent visit, slow service, slow kitchen, tight quarters in a room elbow to elbow with the next table. No pepper or salt on the table ( pet peeve) and the dishes are OK but just not inspired.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Portland ME is a wonderful food town and with so many great choices once in a while one slips through my wanderings. This is one that has been around for a while but somehow we missed it. We just had a fantastic dinner there a few days ago and wish we had gone there a while ago. The interior is divided into small room with a cozy family atmosphere. It is on of the few restaurants with a layout that seems to encourage conversation between tables. The wine list is small but has a decent selection of reasonably priced wines. We shared the antipasto plate which was vegi-centric including olives, roasted garlic, roasted peppers a few other vegies and a little bit of cheese and dried sausage. This was a nice starter and a generous quantity for two. For a main course I had the "North End Linguine" with red sauce, scallops, clams, mussels and calamari. This was very good. a bit spicy like it should be, maybe a bit over sauced typical of Boston's north end. My wife had the "White Bean & Romano Ravioli" with balsamic brown butter. This was also an excellent dish. We shared a bottle of dry white wine that went well with both dishes. We were stuffed so ended up getting a slice of flourless chocolate raspberry torte to go. We had the torte the next day and it was fantastic. Reservations are recommended.