“Great sushi and service”
Review of Restaurant Sapporo

Restaurant Sapporo
Ranked #142 of 622 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Saint John, Canada
“Great sushi and service”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Had a chance to eat at Sapporo on a recent visit to Portland. Highly recommend the food and it has good ambiance and great service.

Visited December 2013

Portland, Maine
“SAPPORO vs. BENKAY”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Ok, here's the quick take from someone who has been - on and off - to both many many times.

I will (still) say Benkay has the better miso soup to begin with. While I am known to both staffs, both staffs I will say are ALWAYS friendly and attentive. That's a wash and I am equally happy at both/either. While both places are clean and tidy, I will give a strong nod to Sapporo for (what matters little if at all to me) the exterior which Benkay has LONG needed.

Ok, the food: I used to say Benkay was always superior to Sapporo in the sushi and sashimi department (invariably what I usually get) but that's no longer true. In fact, more times than not I find myself going to Sapporo for lunch for the best deal in town; 3 rolls plus soup for $9.50 (2 rolls for $7.50) which includes real Maine crab meat for their California Roll (versus Benkays fake crab; you can get real crab there but it will cost you extra) and Spicy Scallop Roll, or Eel & Avocado (which, again, Benkay charges extra for). Uni - my absolute favorite (just so you know what really floats my boat) - is usually outstanding at both places (but you should always ask how it is before ordering).

In the end, and the bottom line - and at the time of this writing - Sapporo gets my nod (although I will still go to both)

• Visited November 2013
Gray, Maine
“Not bad and very reasonable prices”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We went here because my wife was have craving for Japanese. Easy to reach right on Commercial St. in the Old Port. Parking out back of the restaurant is free. Ambiance is OK, greetings are lukewarm. We both started with miso soup which I thought was a bit weak but delicious nontheless. I had teriyaki beef with scallions. The meat was very tender and plentiful, the teriyaki flavor was weak to missing so I would rate my dinner average. My wife had a teriyaki beef bento box which she devoured and said it was just wonderful. Service was right on the money. Quite good value and solid food.

• Visited November 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Very good traditional sushi”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Growing up in LA am well acquainted with mom and pop sushi bars as well as the trendy ones. Sapporo is of the former type: nice but not great decor, solidly good fresh sushi.

We had sashimi. And several rolls. All quite good.

Tables are separated by screens which give a sense of privacy.

Staff was attentive and courteous. Some language challenge but that fits with what we'd expect.

The Maine roll was full of lobster and quite nice with sauce in the side.

Spicy crunchy scallop hand rolls were sweet and mildly spicy. The scallops were very fresh.

There are much trendier/fancier and of course pricier sushi establishments in Portland (and good luck getting in); but for real traditional sushi at a very reasonable price, Sapporo is a great choice.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

There should be a rating between "Average" and "Very Good"--this restaurant falls between those two. The saki was nice, the service was good, the sushi was fresh and good. The sweet potato sushi was the only disappointment--it was a tiny sliver fried crunchy and flavorless.

• Visited October 2013