“Good food. Lots of vegetarian options.”
Review of Pepperclub - CLOSED

Pepperclub
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

This used to be the only game in town that I knew of for vegetarian options. There food is pretty good. The service all 8+ times I have been there is really bad. Food takes quite a long time. Order more often than not incorrect. Servers almost always forget items. Slightly over priced for some of the portion sizes. It is an ok place but there are so many better options now that it would not be my first, second or third choice.

1  Thank makingpurple

Reviewed May 22, 2014

My 16 year old son is a health food fanatic, so the Pepperclub, on this visit to Portland to visit my mom was a must. The owner/waitress couldn't have been nicer, more personable or more knowledgable about the food (well, she's the owner, so that's expected!).
Good news is that while they are moving locations, they will stay in the Portland metro area, not to Kennebunk!
Amazing crab soup to start and my dinner companions enjoyed the minestrone just as much - although they missed out on all that Maine crab!
The mains were great. Son had the meatloaf and said it was maybe the best meatloaf he'd ever had. Mom had a small plate of scallops and enjoyed it immensely - I can't comment since I don't like scallops. I had the Sweet potato and carmelized onion galette which was great - although the bottom of the crust could have been just a bit crispier.
We finished each with a caramel and sea salt chocolate truffle. Locally made and delicious.
Oh, and mom and I both had a drink, which, contrary to what a previous reviewer said, was good-sized and delicious.
This restaurant is just different enough from all the other great restaurants in Portland to make it a standard.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This was my second visit to the pepperclub in the last year. My first experience had been average (at least my wife raved about her meal that night). Tonight... we both left unsatisfied. Drinks, although really good, were served in breakfast glasses leaving me wanting a whole lot more for my $10.

My wife had the scallops (same meal she had last time), and I the chicken. Both meals were OK, although the plain white rice seemed a bit of a downer. The portion size was small, kinda matched the drink size, and the service was adequate. Needless to say with so many great food options in Portland we won't be back.

1  Thank Peggy-Russell
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Pepperclub has been a mainstay restaurant here ever since I moved to Maine in 1992. Sadly, because their rent is going up, the owner has decided to relocate to Kennebunk this summer. This is what happens to quality businesses when other high-end restaurants on the block drive the rental market up and make it no longer affordable to do business. So much for American greed. I've been coming to The Pepperclub with some regularity for these 22 years, and have never had a bad meal or bad service here. The atmosphere is pleasant and unpretentious, the wait staff are excellent and know their menu very well, and the food is very good. I will really miss them.

I went to an early dinner on a weekend with a friend this time. She ordered a Smuttynose dark brown ale, and liked it so much that she later ordered another. Our water glasses were filled and our waitress brought over fresh bread and butter. We shared an appetizer to start: basil pesto Bang Island mussels, which were super fresh and plump and came served in a nice broth. We really liked the taste combination, only wishing that the basil pesto flavor came through more. For entrees, my friend ordered the meatloaf with mashed potato blend and steamed spinach. She loved it and finished every morsel. I had the roasted brussel sprout salad, with bacon, arugula, pecans, goat cheese and tomato vinaigrette. Normally, brussel sprouts do not appeal to me, but this salad was scrumptious. With it I had a bowl of crabmeat curry soup. It had just the right touch of spice, and was chock-full of crabmeat, plus not too much curry. In a word: delicious. I noticed since my last visit that they've raised their prices some, though they were still manageable. Perhaps this is because their rent is so high?

We received the usual attentive and friendly service during our dinner, even though tables started getting filled quickly about half-way through our meal. I hope to return to the Pepperclub again before they close their doors in June.

1  Thank James F
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Pepper club service a short but diverse menu including organic meats, fish and vegetarian options. Some of the vegetarian options are also vegan. We started with the Greek salad for $10. It came with abundant amount homemade bread. It was enough for two of us. Several of us had broiled scallops which were done perfectly. One person had a vegetarian option with pasta and a variety of vegetables with two different types of cheeses- asiago and Parmesan. The other dish was meatloaf with organic bacon. We got it with a quinoa tomato salad rather than mash potatoes. The gravy was almond based and delicious. All excellent.
We finished with a vegan dessert that was like a sophisticated rice crispy cake with organic chocolate!