“Best Sushi in all of Portland”
Review of Benkay Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Benkay Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 31, 2009

One of my favorites in all of the old port. Great casual atmoshphere and amazing sushi. Okson was my waitress and she was very knowledgeable and helped me pick the perfect rolls. Very reasoably priced and great service. I work right down the street and they are also very quick if you have 30-45 min for a quick lunch, they have the "lunch box" which is a great way to sample many of their top dishes.

Reviewed July 6, 2009

I'm not a big fan of sushi, but my girlfriend loves it. We go to Benkay often for a romantic date or night out with friends. I've tried the tuna tataki and octopus salad, and for someone who doesn't like seafood, I must say they are two of the best dishes on the menu. I usually eat the chicken katsu-don, tempura, or teriyaki and they are an excellent alternative for those who are not sushi savy. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. Ask the waitress for a recommendation on cold saki! They are all delicious!

Reviewed March 16, 2009

We regularly go for sushi around town and have tried every place in Portland and South Portland. Benkay definitely stands out above all the rest...the fish is fresh and the portions are generous. The sushi chefs are friendly and nice to talk to! They are always happy to offer a suggestion if you need help ordering. You can tell they take great care in what they prepare and we always find ourselves returning to Benkay, even when we want to try somewhere new. It's also more affordable than a few other more "upscale" sushi restaurants but it definitely does not lack in quality.

1  Thank elisenavidad
Reviewed February 28, 2009

Go there for lunch as often as I can. Am always greeted warmly and seated quickly. I look forward to the box lunch. It's a lot of food with many different delicate tastes. There is always a nicely grilled portion of salmon with a teriyaki glaze. It also comes with 4 shumai and shrimp and vegetable tempura with a light warm soy dipping sauce that enhances the crispy batter. The box lunch also comes with a variety of fish maki rolls (your choice).

I also get the golden brown scallops in miso sauce for an appetizer. I don't believe I've ever eaten anything better. Time and time again, that dish comes out perfectly prepared . . . a pleasure to eat!

I typically eat there Fridays after a long week. I've never been disappointed. I can always count on a great dining experience . . . from the good personable service to the high quality of the food that is priced so reasonably.

2  Thank mlh47
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My family and I went to Benkay and tried a couple of their new dishes. The Tuna Tataki and their dish called 207. They were both excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. It's the best we have had in Portland.

2  Thank ScarboroughNative