“Real BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Both my husband and I love " real " BBQ..not the kind that's swimming in sauce..we weren't disappointed at Buck's! We ordered way too much food...the portions are huge so we had leftovers for the next day! The dry rub ribs are scrumptious...we didn't even bother with the variety of delicious sauces available right at the table. (We did taste each though!) The flavor was perfect all on it's own! The brisket was a bit dry but the mustard BBQ sauce helped & made it quite yummy! Mounds of french fries, huge chunk of corn bread..PHEW! We ordered an appetizer of fried okra..my husband's a fan and said it was "okay" but not the best he'd had. The pastrami and swiss sandwich was succulent and juicy with crisp sweet potato fries..the whole bill came to $5 more than we would pay at one of the local chain restaurants in the area! Service was excellent! The atmosphere has a New Orleans vibe..surprisingly big restaurant! Loved the paper towel roll at each table for clean up! The only real negative about the place is the noise level. Music playing in the main restaurant area clashed with the musical trio playing in the bar area..we did see a couple leave after being seated saying it was too noisy. Noises echo due to the size of the place. The menu offers alot of great choices..even a pig roast can be reserved for a party...sounds like great fun! We'll be going back!

2  Thank lynn t

Reviewed August 11, 2014

My firth time in Portland, ME traveling through with a group of friends. Stopped in as a result of a recommendation. The place is old school Portland in a very interesting but great location. The food was very very good and the beer was cold and refreshing. My first time trying Allagash. I think I found my new favorite. I also tried Poutine for the first time. WOW, that a great dish. I left there feeling very satisfied. The staff were very friendly and fun to boot.

2  Thank Wooggy
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I came here on vacation to eat. The first thing we ate was the sweet potato fries and pork belly tacos. Our main course was the half back ribs with Mac and cheese, smoked brisket and a loaded potato. The blueberry bbq sauce goes extremely well with the ribs. The food is excellent and the service is great. If you want great bbq in Portland, this is your place.

3  Thank Voyager_2_1977
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Ate at Buck's yesterday August 8, 2014. It is named "naked" as the food arrives without sauce applied by staff in kitchen. They have a wide selection of very tasty sauces on each table, and you can apply just the right sauce, in just the right amount. I had the "3-meats" with additional Baby Back Ribs to make a complete 4 for me. Wife had just 3-meats. Mine were pulled pork, brisket, sausage and the ribs. She had pulled pork, brisket, and chicken.

All the meat was prepared to perfection. We both liked different sauses and enjoyed the opportunity to apply a sauce of our choice... not one of the chef's choice. Delicious meal, quantities a bit above normal (not "huge" by any means) and when I finished and had eaten my coleslaw I was completely stuffed. Highly recommend this place for BBQ.

We arrived early for lunch about 11:30 and probably only 3 tables were taken, in total. By time we left there were no tables available... they probably can seat 150 people or more in there.

2  Thank Steven C
Reviewed August 2, 2014

No wait, great service, huge portions, comfortable atmosphere, the BBQ sauce had a chipotle flavor to it which I didn't care for.

2  Thank Lenoremarie