“Helpful Fresh and Not Priced for Tourists”

Free Range Fish and Lobster
Ranked #179 of 615 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Fresh Fish, Lobsters, Beer / Wine , Smoked Seafood
Description: Fresh Fish, Lobsters, Beer / Wine , Smoked Seafood
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Beautiful little seafood shop that sells gorgeous fillets of fish from halibut to local catches, mussels, clams, you name it. The people who work there are so pleasant. We ordered a couple of two pound lobsters and they happily steamed them for us to pick up the same day! Prices for seafood are really excellent. For example, the lobster ran about $11/lb and the halibut $15/lb. Where I come from (NJ) I can never find halibut for less than $22.
The shop also includes a nice wine selection and some of the accoutrement for that seafood feast, such as a limited selection of vegetables, citrus, spices and seasonings.
Of all the fish shops we visited, this was the cleanest and least smelly, the most helpful and best priced. I will always support this place in future seafood trips!

2  Thank Christine D

Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is not a restaurant, but a fish/seafood store. I bought 4 lbs. of swordfish to grill for family. When I told the young man who was waiting on me that I had a 5 hour trip to make, he offered to pack my purchase. I had brought a small cooler...........he filled it with ice & taped it shut. I was very impressed at the level of customer service I received. AND.........the swordfish was delicious! They also sell a small amount of produce..........I bought asparagus................also fresh & wonderful! I live 2 hrs. away from Portland........but I will be a customer at this store whenever I can!

1  Thank ClareET
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We purchased lobster meat from this market...the prices were great! Brought home a 3.6 lb lobster for $9.99/lb. Delicious! We will be back to purchase more fish on our next visit.

2  Thank Lynette58
Reviewed February 27, 2014

went mid afternoon, service was great waiter made sure we got the best value in ordering. Ribs were melt off the bone and tasty

1  Thank Ron J
Cullen B, Manager at Free Range Fish and Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2015

Hello, my name is Cullen and I run Free Range Fish and Lobster. I am truly sorry and distressed to read that your experience was so terrible. We never want to see mistakes made, especially when they are brought about by inattentiveness. I can assure you, our scales are tested and in line with city, state, and federal regulations.Please email me at cullen@freerangefish.com, and I will do my best to make this right for you and answer any further questions you may have. If we are lucky enough to have another shot at your business I would love to give both you and your wife a full tour of our operation.Thank you so much for taking the time to help us become the best fish market we can be and have a great weekend!

Best,
Cullen Burke
Free Range Fish and Lobster
207-774-8469

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We recently stayed in Portland while visiting a friend. We were told to go to Brown's fish market for fresh fish. We ended up paying $14.99 a lb for haddock, and they didn't even have lobster meat available! After leaving Brown's we went right down the street to Free Range where they had an equally impressive selection for 1/2 the price! We ended up buying lobster meat here and it was delicious! Absolutely worth driving to the end of Commercial Street.

4  Thank OlsenkdNY

Been to Free Range Fish and Lobster? Share your experiences!