“Nice afternoon”

Maine Beer Tours
Ranked #10 of 28 Food & Drink in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Maine is a haven for craft beer, and what better way to enjoy the Maine beer experience than to have us bring you to where the magic happens! Have you ever wondered how a beer gets bottled or canned? What the difference between an Ale and a Lager is? Why some beers are darker than others and what exactly is a hop? Wonder no more! Maine Beer Tours offers an ALL INCLUSIVE brewery tour experience. While on the bus we will be sure to give you some of the rich beer history in Maine, and even toss some goodies at you, by way of some trivia. At Maine Beer Tours, we feel the appreciation for Maine craft beverages brings strangers together who quickly realize and appreciate all of Maine's offerings as well as the other patrons they engage with on board. That being said, it is not uncommon to see folks on our tours start as strangers and end up grabbing food and drink together after the tour has ended. Maine Beer Tours has been connecting beer enthusiasts to the source since August 2012 (though inception began nine years prior to that) when no other Maine business was offering the same service. It has been a wild ride and we've met a lot of great people along the way. So what are you waiting for? Hop on board Maine's original, homegrown, beer tour bus and lets us do the driving for you!
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had a nice group of 14 and visited 3 breweries and a distillery. Mark was a gracious and knowledgable host. Had water and a wonderful fresh homemade pretzel on the bus. Not rushed at any place.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"pours"
"blast"

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This tour was great. My wife and I did the Friday tour and couldn't have enjoyed it more. Would have loved to do the Saturday tour as well but we had a plane to catch. Our group size was 12 so it was small enough that we got a chance to meet everyone and never felt rushed.The guides really know there stuff and you can really tell they have great relationships with all the stops. Really feel like you are getting a little more from the breweries than if you just stopped on your own for a tour.

Would do this tour again and i would reccomend to anyone that loves beer and wants to get a good look at Portland.

P.S. - one thing that also tells me it was a great tour is that there were several people from Portland and the surrounding area that were doing the tour, which tells me it is something special.

Cheers!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was my first time ever doing a beer tour, being kind of new to the craft beer scene. I went down with a friend to check out what all the fuss was about, and I'm glad I did.

We did a tour of three breweries -- Allagash, Rising Tide, and Bunker. We also mixed in a trip to the Urban Farm Fermentory, which isn't really a brewery (they make kombucha, not beer), but was interesting nonetheless. It made for a great mix, as Allagash is one of the largest craft breweries in the country, Rising Tide is medium-sized and based out of an old trucking company, and Bunker basically makes two or three beers in what appears to be an old one-bay truck garage. Seeing the economy of scale at work was a great part of the experience.

Mark and Nichole are both very knowledgeable, and excited about their fledgling business. It's obvious this was a dream of theirs that they are pursuing, and they're doing it differently than some other folks out there. Case in point: theirs is one of, if not the only game in town where they bring craft brews from breweries you aren't visiting on the bus for you to drink between stops. They also have delicious soft pretzels from a local business that go great with your beer. Truly, my only gripe is that there weren't TWO pretzels for everyone, because they were delicious! (Get on that, guys!)

I don't know how long the tour is supposed to last, or anything like that. I can say that there was not a time during the trip where I felt hurried. Allagash appeared to be the one stop that had a scheduled time for us to appear, and they were first on the list of places to visit. After that, the experience was very laid-back, and if there was a schedule, I didn't know about it. Which is exactly the kind of thing you want when you're doing this. You can hang out, check out the brewery, ask questions, and of course, enjoy some great fresh beer.

I for one intend to do this at least once more, when they do the Sebago/Shipyard rotation. And I'll add yet another trip if they decide to go out to the remote breweries.

Additional tips: If Bunker is on your tour, and you like coffee, make a quick stop to the coffee shop right next door and buy a cup of that too. It was the best cup I've had in years. And don't pack a lunch; try the food trucks at the breweries for some amazing eats.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Maine Beer Tours puts on a great day of visiting Portland's amazing breweries. From start to finish, Mark and Nichole are outstanding hosts and think of every detail - even delicious pretzels. The day that I took the tour, they even accommodated a special request from guest to visit a brewery not on the itinerary - adding an extra stop to the day. I highly recommend Maine Beer Tours. I can't wait for my next trip to Portland for a tour!