“Definitely worth a visit to Kushiya Benkay!”
Review of Kushiya Benkay

Kushiya Benkay
Ranked #296 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Description: Traditional Japanese Pub serving yakitori (grilled food on skewers), kushikatsu (fried food on skewers), and sushi rolls.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My partner and I visit Benkay often. We like to go at least once every two or three weeks since they've opened and in our opinion this is one of Portland's best restaurants. Our waitress remembers our names, remembers what we've ordered last - even weeks from the last time we were in - we really love the service. But best of all, the food is constantly amazing! Every time we eat at Benkay we are pleasantly surprised. Please eat here - you will not be let down!!

1  Thank Brian04101

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We ordered sushi, yakitori, katsudon and tempura udon.

Sushi was fresh, but not flavourful.

For the yakitori, we had chicken liver, ox tongue, duck breast and scallop. Except for the scallop, the other ones were too salty that one could not pick up the flavour of the ingredients.

Katsudon and tempura udon were above average and in good portions.

Service was excellent and attentive.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Finally went to Kushiay Benkay for dinner because of its "street food" focus. The inside is nice, but those from Portland also know that this is a jinxed spot as many restaurants have failed since Bella Cucina. Before we had our jackets off and had a chance to sit down, the waitress was asking us what we wanted to drink from the bar. We asked for more time, she gave us less than a minute, we were not ready. At her fourth visit in as few minutes I had to sternly ask her to give us some space. Alright already, this was supposed to be a causal dinner, we were not in an airport departure lounge. Over the years, and I hate to say this, I have learned that in many Asian restaurants, you should never order your mains and apps at the same time otherwise you will be served your main halfway through your app. This strategy clearly annoyed our waitress who clearly wanted to turn the table as quickly as possible (even though there were many empty tables).

Now the food. My partner ordered the sushi, which was o.k. nothing special but fresh. The really odd thing was that my partner asked for low sodium soy sauce, which is pretty standard at sushi restaurants. The waitress apologized that it was in packets only and dropped off a handful of foil packets of low-sodium soy sauce. Really? I decided to focus on their specialty, the yakitori grill. So, I ordered miso soup, which was awful - hard to believe, but it was verdy thin, no tofu, no scallions, it tasted like dishwater (not enough soy bean paste). The yakitori was awful, no flavor. Well, not fully true, the grilled calamari had a strong fishy flavor that had a slight slime and was really tough. Indicative of old, formerly frozen calamari. Also had the duck breast and chicken and scallion, not as terrible as the calamari, but lacked the flavor of good yakitori. Well, one more thing, the meager portions. After having spent about $15 on my bland food, I was still very hungry so had to order a side-small bowl of rice - $2.00. We will not go back as there was no indication that this was an off night. It was very pricy given the quality and portions of the food and the desire of the waitress to see you leave as soon as possible.

3  Thank Twar
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch on a feb Monday. The atmosphere is very cozy and nice inside - a major remodel upgrade from prior restaurants in this space. We had a fried tofu app which was delicious and delicate. Then had the lunch special box which was a feast. Miso soup followed by Grilled chicken and hot pepper skewers, avocado salad, tempura vegetables and a choice of sushi roll all for $11. Everything was fresh, flavorful, delicious. I hope this place catches on - I recommend!!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I love Benkay and was thrilled when they opened another spot on my side of town. Kim and Kay are awesome as is the sushi! The seafood soup was bananas! So good!!!! And they are open late! It can be a little pricey, but it's definitely worth it!

1  Thank anna10582