“Best Chinese meal I've had in the US”
Review of Zen Chinese Bistro

Zen Chinese Bistro
Ranked #175 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is the best Chinese food I've had since I was in China. Super fresh ingredients. While still remain true to US expectations this place comes closer Chinese style cooking. The atmosphere in the upstairs dining room is lovely.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I tried this place for the first time. Chinese in Portland has been pretty dismal. I was hoping that Zen Bistro would change the landscape. The service was good, the decor was comfortable but too much emphasis on TV sports but the food left a lot to be desired. We tried two dishes that were both lacking in flavor. It seems like they have a set of spices that are understated and the same for at least the two dishes. I think the experience will merit another try but I'm not too hopeful. I've been to many Chinese restaurants in Chinatowns around the country and this place doesn't measure up.

1  Thank Hicow
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Used a groupon for first visit and was very pleased with meal/service. Place has been open under a month and think once people visit, they will return. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Decent menu and prices are reasonable for quality of food.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Don't let the outside appearance fool you.. inside is quite nice/attractive Went for lunch and was pleasantly surprised how good the food was. Everything was made to order and quite tasty. The lunch specials go for approx $9-$10 and are very adequate servings. Place was not busy when we visited ( Sat afternoon about 1;30) but imagine is busier during work week and evenings. Service was excellent and staff seemed very friendly.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stan S.
Scarborough, ME

8/30/2012
Today we had lunch for four.The place is clean and the service was pleasant and helpful.We ordered 4 different lunches and all shared.The portions were reasonable,but the flavors and sauces were pretty similar.Overall the experience was not memorable .I will give an evening meal a try,but today I give it a generous 3 stars.Mostly for the service.