“Great Oysters and Nice Atmosphere”

Eventide Oyster Company
Ranked #27 of 615 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Just opened and is owned by Hugo's next door. Excellent "tapas" small plate seafood. Oysters from Maine and away. Incredible cured Artic Char.
Reviewed August 2, 2014

First time to Portland, a city that is awash with good restaurants. It's ironic how much Portland ME resembles Portland OR in this regard. Lots of flannel shirts and craft beers, along with a meticulous attention to food. Eventide was recommended by a couple I met in Boston. The place didn't disappoint, although it's not cheap. The oysters (a dozen of 6 varieties) were delicious, and the restaurant offers an array of toppings (several "ices"). I sat at the bar and was enticed by my neighbor's friend Winterpoint oyster special, laced with bacon and kimchee. Yum (minor complaint: the dish needed two more oystrers to make it superb). I wish I had more money where I didn't notice things like this.

1  Thank rmajor
Write a ReviewReviews (1,592)

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Sat at bar that lines the window. Ordered raw oysters and corn bread to start. Corn bread and oysters great. We ordered the traditional clam bake, enough for two. Had muscles, potatoes, shrimp, clams and lobster tale, also wonderful. Great beer selection. Service was welcoming and attentive I would recommend.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

The waitress told us that the lobster rolls were small. They are, bur piled with lobster. My husband ordered the brown butter on his and I ordered the mayo. Both good- his a little better. I was intrigued by the chickpea fries, which I thought were delicious. I was impressed and would be pleased to return!

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Being from Texas, I'm probably not very well versed in current East Coast seafood prices, but $150 for 18 oysters and 4 lobster rolls seemed high to me. Judging from the standing room only crowds, however, the price was not a deterrent, so maybe that's just what it costs. At any rate, Eventide was pleasant enough for a Sunday afternoon in Portland. No ambiance, but the service was great and the staff was knowledgeable. The food was very tasty and, while I probably wouldn't go back on my own, I'd certainly make a return visit to meet friends or family. I'll just make sure I take out a loan.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We went for lunch at Eventide based on other reviews. Maybe we are just not into trendy and loud. While the food was very good - we had clam chowder and grilled oysters overall it was nothing to write home about. The chowder did not compete with that at a waterside clam shack; the oysters were delicious but overpriced.
I can't understand the high ratings that others give...