“Top ten meals list ever”

Eventide Oyster Company
Ranked #11 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Just opened and is owned by Hugo's next door. Excellent "tapas" small plate seafood. Oysters from Maine and away. Incredible cured Artic Char.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Top ten meals list ever”
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I put our name in for the one hour wait (no reservations) and wondered Around downtown until our name was called. We were given two seats at the bar which was perfect to see all of the action. Yes the prices are high for the portions but this restaurant is about quality and quality at its best! We had one dozen assorted variety oysters and loved the horseradish sauce that came with it. We also had the chick pea fries which were fantastic and a lobster roll with brown butter which pretty much melts in your mouth. The atmosphere is hip cool a must visit place! Do go if you have the chance

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We made a day trip up to Portland while staying down in Ogunquit for the week. We had heard about Eventide from friends - and since Portland is such an amazing food town it was our #1 stop for the day. We were there for an early evening dinner (~5ish) and were not disappointed.

Oysters: We had our server bring us a half-dozen variety and she did an excellent job. Yes, they are a bit pricey but you're in Maine. What do you expect?

We also had an excellent cauliflower appetizer before have sharing a couple of items: lobster roll (using brown butter vinaigrette) and their burger (with a side of fries). We also had a side of their Nori Potato Salad - which was amazing!

A great place to try... especially for the foodies! Plus, we walked down the street and grabbed a couple of milkshakes from Duckfat before jumping in the car to head south to OGT.

New York, NY
“Kids loved this place”
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We are a family of Oyster lovers and this place is oyster heaven. It's weird to be able to eat great oysters in July but with the Maine water temperatures the oysters get meaty but not fatty or creamy. They have a big selection of local oysters and we ordered them by the dozen. The albacore sashimi dish is extremely good and lobster rolls with brown butter were to die for. Our son enjoyed the chicken sandwich and we all loved the chick pea fries. There was nothing we ate that we would not have ordered more. Tough to get into, but worth the wait. We went for lunch two days and the experience was consistently fantastic.

Augusta, Georgia
“Tasty, Child-Sized Portions, and Pricey for What it is”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Oysters are quite possibly my favorite food. They are not easy to get where I am from, and they often are not very good. During our weeklong vacation to New England, I had them almost every single day. While we were in Portland, I knew I had to stop at Eventide, as they seem to be the most hyped. The dozen Maine osiers I got were good. I would say a 7 or 8 out of 10. They seemed quite expensive compared to the oysters that I had at many other places. After the oysters, I had the oyster bun and my wife had the chicken bun. These buns are tiny! Im talking about 4 bites tiny. However, they are very good. I am 6'4", 195 lbs.; I could probably eat 6-8 of these little "buns." For the price, Eventide was not worth it for me. Average oysters at an above average price, and above average "buns" in a well below average size. For me, it was not worth it, and my wife and I both left slightly disappointed with our experience. Especially after all the hype surrounding this place.

1 Thank Dhasek
Pike Road, Alabama
“Overpriced and over hyped”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I spent the holiday weekend in Maine and were looking for a good restaurant in Portland before catching our flight home. We found lots of reviews for Eventide, both lauding the lobster roll but warning about the portion size-to-price ratio, so we thought we knew what to expect and were willing to pay a little more for a good meal. For an hour or so, we drove toward Portland in anticipation of enjoying a portion of the great food scene we had read about. The restaurant feels trendy, cool, and retro and is located in what seems to be a trendy and cool area that has absolutely no parking available. After circling a few blocks and walking a bit, we made our way to a trendy, cool, retro shared table in the back because the tiny restaurant already had about thirty patrons (almost full). My husband ordered a cup of the clam chowder, which was thin, watery, and disappointing. He loves soup, even in the blaze of summer, but didn't finish this cup. We each ordered a lobster roll: he selected the brown butter, and I tried the house mayo. They are small rolls served on small plates -- no surprise, the reviews we had read were accurate. But -- surprise! -- mine was devoid of flavor. The bland roll was soft and warm, topped with freshly prepared and unseasoned lobster meat. If there had been any spread on this roll, house mayo or otherwise, it evaporated from sheer boredom before the plate reached our table. I hoped the brown butter version my husband chose would prove the better option, but it didn't taste much different. After so much buildup and anticipation, we were left unsatisfied and confused. We missed out on whatever draws folks to the food served here. If you're looking for trendy, cool, retro restaurants in Portland, this might fit your bill...but I don't recommend the lobster rolls or the chowder.

1 Thank AUTigerLily95