“Oysters galore...”

Eventide Oyster Company
Ranked #11 of 607 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Just opened and is owned by Hugo's next door. Excellent "tapas" small plate seafood. Oysters from Maine and away. Incredible cured Artic Char.
Houlton, Maine
“Oysters galore...”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We usually stop in J's for oysters when in Portland, but we decided to give the much-more upscale Eventide a try last night. Awesome selection of Maine and "from away" oysters...we did 6 different Maine varieties recommended by our server -- including North Haven (my faves), Wild Dams, Wiley Point, and John's River. Great way to appreciate the differences between them! We chose the kimchee and apple-horseradish ices...the former seemed to overpower the oysters a bit, so we used plain lemon with several, just to let the oyster shine on its own.

Definitely more dear than J's, at nearly $30 a dozen. But the bar area was lighter and brighter, the service more attentive, and the selection much bigger.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Oysters and Martinis!”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I went here on a Friday night for a quick winter weekend trip away with my boyfriend. The restaurant is intimate, like many places in Portland. There were no available seats when we arrived, but the hostess told us that we could stand at the corner of the bar and took our drink order for us, which was really nice. I had the best dirty martini of my life. It was so good. Perfectly briny, with a little dash of hot sauce. I don't think I could return to Portland without going to get one! We were totally comfortable standing and had only planned to stop in for a drink and some oysters before heading on to another place for an app and a drink, so we decided to stay standing at the bar to get some oysters. I love oysters, but I am not an oyster aficionado, so I was a little overwhelmed by how many choices there were! I told our server I would like to limit what we ordered to the Maine oysters and she recommended three of her favorites, which we ordered. All three were uniquely flavorful in different ways and I really enjoyed all of them. Some seats opened up right after we ordered the oysters and we were able to sit down to enjoy them. The staff were all very attentive, knowledgeable and polite. I cannot wait to go back!

Southwest Harbor, Maine
“Excellent Oysters”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Small and intimate, this spot is fantastic for its variety of oysters, not to mention a few other delicacies. We were going to move on elsewhere for the remainder of the evening meal, but got hooked on the oysters and stayed put.

Visited December 2013
Woodstock, Vermont
“Another great dining evening...with dishes you won't get elsewhere.”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We again visited in January on a mild night and the place was ticking over. Carrie our server was fun, efficient and very pleasurable to the eye. We Sat in the window and had 6 oysters on their recommendation and very good they were too. Then I went for the battered hake, and also a seafood stew which 10/10. My partner had the fried island mussels and then Chawan Mushi...which was sensational. A Japanese custard served with crab & pickle. Never heard of it before...but by god we'd have it again!

Most importantly they had some excellent and unusual draft beers on tap, all served in European style small glasses and these were all excellent...and we tried a few! The atmosphere in the place is cafe bar meets trendy eatery and it works well.

The staff were all pleasant and knew their food. Those who have found them to be 'off', might I suggest had a problem with their no reservation policy? They quickly offered us a drink at the bar as we had wait a few minutes but certainly made us feel welcome. For the dinner serving you get about 4 added hot dishes, not all seafood so there is enough choice to satisfy everyone.

Left feeling mildly drunk with a warm glow inside...we will again return.

1 Thank Davidbignose!
Portland, Maine
“Great place for oysters and a martini. Go!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Learn what oysters are available and pick a few of each for your sampler. This is a fun place, always busy summer and winter.

Visited December 2013