“THIS PLACE COULD BE GREAT, BUT REFUSES”

Eventide Oyster Company
Ranked #11 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Just opened and is owned by Hugo's next door. Excellent "tapas" small plate seafood. Oysters from Maine and away. Incredible cured Artic Char.
Maine
“THIS PLACE COULD BE GREAT, BUT REFUSES”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The oysters are excellent as are some of the small plates. But the noise level inside is unbearable and there isn't a seat inside or out which is comfortable. If the owners would take a look around, they might notice that the patrons are mostly not 20 somethings. Thus, given the prices of their offerings and the fact that oysters are a delicacy to be savored, they would be well advised to turn off the noise (or play something quietly classical) and provide some real chairs. It also wouldn't hurt if the servers dropped their attitudes.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Diego
“The good, bad and awful.”
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Oysters were fresh and delicious but expensive. Ambiance is picnic table style cozy. Clam chowder was the worst we've ever had and it took 20 minutes to get it? Chowder was thin like a white broth/soup, had very few clams but way too much salt pork and potatoes. C 'mon, this IS New England!?

Freeport, Maine
“Overhyped”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I wanted to like Eventide...really. My husband and I have lived in Maine for 16 years, and as a former caterer and professional cook I have watched the greater Portland area become a rising star in the food world. In the 20th century I knew the food world had become too impressed with itself when goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, and variations on pesto began appearing on and in everything. Now in the 21st century it seems that it isn't necessarily the food which is over the top-it's the hype itself. Part of the mystique of Eventide was that its chefs and management earned their stripes at Hugo's, a restaurant at the forefront of Portland's dining world. Maybe their focus on oysters, and their seafood focused menu was just what the town was looking for because it certainly took off. Well we finally made it and boy did the hype exceed the meal. The fluke tartare was so spicy that the flavor of the fluke was totally lost. The clam chowder was definitely clammy because of the clam broth, not because of the clam meat which we didn't find. A couple of beautifully cubed potatoes were all the texture in the milky, not creamy, chowder. Except the bacon. We both wondered what the diner is to do with a large (4 by 2 inch) piece of bacon floating in the chowder. Was it there for garnish? Was it there to suggest a smoky flavor? Were you supposed to eat it...with a spoon? Well we tried, and found it to be one of those chewy morsels that got bigger in your mouth as you ate it or tried to eat it. Next came my battered and fried hake and my husband's duck breast. The duck was fine, after you cut the fat off the end. There were about 8 thin pieces of duck, and about 10 pieces of shitake mushroom, grilled winter squash, and some kind of asian flavored relish. The fish was abominable. The 5 pieces of fish arrived in a cute little metal bucket with remoulade or tartar or some kind of sauce in a container so small that you couldn't dip the fish in it. One bite and the grease came pouring out. When I told the waitress, in response to her question about how we were enjoying our dinner, that the fish was too greasy, her response was very nice but very uninformed. "It's fried fish so it comes that way." Um no! Fried fish and grease are not synonymous in any way. After I peeled off the huge quantity of greasy batter I found about 4 ounces of nice white fish, and a really upset stomach. And our bill with no dessert, no drinks except an iced tea, and no coffee came to $74 counting tip. Hype much? And as an aside- I walk with crutches due to an accident so am always on the lookout for accessibility. With the exception of 2 small table and benches inside, all the seating is at tall stools which would not be accessibly for people with mobility problems or in wheelchairs. There are 5 or 6 small tables and benches outside, but this is Maine so they aren't really useful for a good 6-7 months.

3 Thank Barbara A
San Francisco, California
“shell in my lobster roll and rude staff”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I ordered a chowder and a lobster roll for each of us. The chowder was watery and gross. Their untraditional lobster rolls are unique and good but I prefer a classic lobster roll. Mine had a shell in it.

We waited for a very very long time for our food. How long does it take to assemble a lobster roll? She brought the rolls out first so I asked if the chowder we ordered was still coming. She curtly responded something about how they make everything fresh. Uh, ok, I was just asking - and very politely, I would add! These people need to calm down.

I typically like pretentious places when they are enthusiastic and friendly. The people who work here are neither. I agree with other reviewers that it's overpriced for what you get.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Emma M
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing lobster rolls!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

What a great find in downtown Portland. We were recently visiting some friends of ours in Maine and they brought us to this great little trendy restaurant with the claim that we would be eating "the best lobster roll" in Maine. We were certainly not disappointed! We started with some local beers and 2 dozen local oysters, which were all fantastic. The table also ordered the lobster stew & clam chowder, more of a thin liquid/less creamy take on chowder, which was great because it was less filling (thus we could eat more oysters & lobster)! The side order of biscuits with bacon butter were out of this world. As for the lobster roll, you have three options: Hollandaise, mayo, or brown butter. We all had the brown butter & were blown away- such great flavor. The roll reminded me of a steamed bun like you would have as a pork bun in Asian cuisine. Different but so tasty! They are reasonably priced at $12 but on the smaller side so you may have to order 2. Overall, a wonderful experience and great atmosphere for an evening out in Portland- highly recommend.