“Amazing lobster rolls!”

Eventide Oyster Company
Ranked #11 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Just opened and is owned by Hugo's next door. Excellent "tapas" small plate seafood. Oysters from Maine and away. Incredible cured Artic Char.
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing lobster rolls!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

What a great find in downtown Portland. We were recently visiting some friends of ours in Maine and they brought us to this great little trendy restaurant with the claim that we would be eating "the best lobster roll" in Maine. We were certainly not disappointed! We started with some local beers and 2 dozen local oysters, which were all fantastic. The table also ordered the lobster stew & clam chowder, more of a thin liquid/less creamy take on chowder, which was great because it was less filling (thus we could eat more oysters & lobster)! The side order of biscuits with bacon butter were out of this world. As for the lobster roll, you have three options: Hollandaise, mayo, or brown butter. We all had the brown butter & were blown away- such great flavor. The roll reminded me of a steamed bun like you would have as a pork bun in Asian cuisine. Different but so tasty! They are reasonably priced at $12 but on the smaller side so you may have to order 2. Overall, a wonderful experience and great atmosphere for an evening out in Portland- highly recommend.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
new jersey
“Over-priced and pretentious”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Was excited to find this place on TripAdvisor during a trip to Portland. I love oysters and was anxious to try some new varieties. The first surprise was how incredibly tiny this little place is. When we walked in, the hostess (without any friendly greeting) brusquely stated,"All I have is a communal table, so you'll have to sit there." Well, fine, we had no issue(we thought) sitting with strangers. We often go to the Carnegie Deli in NYC and are squeezed in w/strangers there all the time. We sat down at one end of the empty table and a waitress brought our menus. My husband and I decided to sample a dozen oysters (expensive, but comparable to everywhere else now) and also have the Lobster Stew and something to drink. The waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable about the oyster varieties and helped me decide which to order. That was the only good part of the evening! My husband then told her he wanted a cup of coffee. She said, "It's French press - is that OK?" He said fine - he just needed a cup of coffee. She left, and the hostess suddenly appeared with 3 more people for our table. They sat down and we smiled a friendly hello, but were ignored, which was awkward as we were now squeezed in with strangers who were determined to not acknowledge our existence. Weird! The oysters came and were quite good. Still no coffee. Flagged down the waitress, who said it took awhile to make because it was French press. My husband couldn't believe they could not just pour him a cup of coffee - too pretentious! Then the most absurd Lobster Stew was put in front of us. The best description would be warm skim milk with orange food coloring and a few small shreds of lobster at the bottom. Oh, and a tiny strange dry, dusty tasting biscuit of some sort.Finally, the amazing pretentious coffee arrived. The waitress basically disappeared and then kept sailing by avoiding eye contact. Now we were desperate to leave and had to practically throw ourselves in front of the waitress to get the bill. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the coffee was $8. Total bill for 12 oysters, two small bowls of watery whatever, one coffee and one iced tea - $68. We laughed all the way to another restaurant, it was so absurd.

2 Thank drfaith
Beulah, CO
“Spectacular Oysters”
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We had nothing but oysters, although we could have. Eventide serves fresh oysters from Maine, as well as a good sample from "away". We each had an assorted dozen from Maine, largely from places that we had sailed to this summer. They were all spectacularly fresh and spectacularly tasty. It was fun to learn the different tastes of each locale.

We matched the oysters with different drinks. I sampled a couple of their vermouths, which were good but a little heavy for the oysters. My wife had a celery gimlet, which she said was very good, very light and was an excellent accompaniment.

The oysters were expensive, but they seem to be so everywhere these days. Certainly for the quality and the experience we had no complaints. This was our one chance to sit and focus on oysters, before returning west for the winter.

We sat at the bar, near where oysters were being shucked, and the waitress advised us on which we should have in our samples. She also provided a listing of where each was from, so we could compare by name.

I would recommend that this be a stop on everyone's visit to Portland.

New Hartford, New York
“Eventide”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The lobster roll was tasty but VERY small.
Lobster stew was merely a soup.
Drinks were great and bartender very helpful.

Visited September 2013
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a new oyster experience”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This place was quite an experience for us. It was a cold rainy evening and I was hoping to come in into a warm place that would help me getting dry, but the door being open, it was as cold inside (no fireplace there). It felt a bit strange to stand in the middle of this tiny place, full of young people, where seating is at the counters arranged along the sides and front window. Within a few minutes, a young and perky waitress came to offer us drinks. I had an amazing gimlet which paired well with the oysters. Following the Oyster's master suggestion we ordered some Pemaquid, Brown Point and John's River accompanied by mignonette and Cucumber/ginger sauce. It was out of this world! The flavor if these oysters was a unique experience. Next my husband had the best and freshest Mackerel Carpaciccio while I had to try the Lobster Roll served with brown butter, a real delicacy. The portions were not very big, but the flavor, texture, presentation and freshness of ingredients made up for it. We will definitely return.