“Exactly What I Wanted”

Eventide Oyster Company
Ranked #12 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Just opened and is owned by Hugo's next door. Excellent "tapas" small plate seafood. Oysters from Maine and away. Incredible cured Artic Char.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Exactly What I Wanted”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had been told of Eventide by a friend who recently visited Portland and tried it out for myself last week. It was exactly what I was looking for; intimate, fresh, creative and casual.

I arrived a little late during the lunch hour so I started by enjoying an oyster with a bloody mary shot at the bar. Once I was seated I selected 3 of the many, many oyster selections they offered accompanied by a lobster roll (also multiple options) and a side of Kimchi...delicious!

If you are hitting Eventide up for lunch I recommend you try to arrive early to avoid a line, especially if you are in a larger party.

• Visited August 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
CT
“NO Service”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

So disappointing--- I was so excited to go to this new hip place that has been highlighted in Bon Appetite Mag- Firstly, Service doesn't exist- and No one is managing this place- We stood in front of the hostess desk for more than 5 minutes, People walked by and no one glanced at us or made a comment- will be right with you.... I walked around the corner to see what other options we would have, when I came back, My husband was told it would be a 20 minute wait- I was already unhappy with the nonchalance attitude, but my husband quickly pointed out the oyster variety ( clearly displaced and gorgeous btw) and by the time we walked to another place we would be seated. The Hostess assured us we could wait by the bar and have drink while we waited. We stood at the bar and waited and waited and waited and no one even bothered to looked up to offer us a drink. 2 people left the bar, so we grabbed the seats and no sooner than we sat down- did we then cause attention by being told we couldn't sit there! (why we stayed at this point is beyond me) where as I quickly asked what were the rules to get a drink as she had told us would happen. She said she could get us a drink- what???? why didn't you do this right away? fast forward- we finally were seated outside- the sidewalk had food on the ground that had stepped on- so area wasn't clean.. - we ordered 2 items that were no longer available- oyster were good, food okay and waitress while okay didn't do anything to sparkle or to change the already bad experience. this is miss when in Portland- there are many other Great options- so run while you can- we should have.

• Visited August 2013
6 Thank CtNoname
Chicago, Illinois
“Not to be missed. Amazing at everything.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Our first few moments at Eventide almost had me walking out the door. It is a tiny space and would be difficult to accommodate a group larger than four, however it was just my husband and I and it has a fun atmosphere about it. The hostess disappeared without much communication and once we were finally seated outside (by choice) we were then asked to move inside to accommodate another customer. I had about had it when we sat down at the bar. Within moments, the experience went from terrible to incredible. John, the barman was fantastic! We ordered a bottle of wine, two lobster rolls, a heirloom tomato salad and zucchini fritters, and as a thank you for moving, the restaurant sent out a salmon and beet dish that was delicious. The lobster roll with brown butter on a mouth watering homemade steamed bun was literally to die for. My mouth is watering just thinking about how good those six bites were. I'm going to have to return before we leave Portland for that incredible lobster roll. Eventide is attached to Hugo's next door, and after a very enjoyable time with the staff and other customers around us, John the barman, walked us through the shared kitchen to Hugo's so that we could have dessert there. I would highly recommend Eventide to anyone visiting or living in the Portland area.

Visited September 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Getting a bit precious”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

It was bound to happen. As the speed of 'likes' goes into warpspeed Eventide seems to be believing all their 5star reviews and ignoring the rest. The food is consistent but the atmosphere has gotten a little thin. As Yogi Berra was heard saying: "no one goes there anymore, its too popular".

• Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Eventide is extremely charming, from the decor, menu design right down to the music they play. But what makes this place worth standing in line for is the food. Maine is notorious for their lobster rolls. Eventide serves lobster rolls that are unique and really stand out. We tried lobster rolls from 5 other places and Eventide remained our favorite. Their rolls come in buns and the flavors are nontraditional. Everything we had from appetizers to the the chowder all tasted extremely fresh.

The portions are tapa style- meaning, get a lot of plates and share. That way you can try a variety. We would definitely dine there again.

• Visited September 2013