“One of the nicest weekends I can remember”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The room was terrific, the staff was incomparable, the breakfast was over the moon and the front the valet personnel were fantastic too!

All in all - one heck of a fabulous weekend. Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: I can only say that the one that we stayed in was great - I cannot compare it to any others...althou...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
HiltonGardenInnGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Dear jodinefertiti,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We are happy to read that your overall stay was so enjoyable. We look forward to the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront being your destination the next time you visit Portland, Maine!

April Rossignol

Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Nice hotel - clean, comfy rooms and friendly staff. Coffee in the lobby is great - nice little bar for a drink before dinner. Close to the Old Port - good location. Only bummer is the $15/day valet parking but that seems to be the norm in the city so it wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear mozzer50,

Thank you for posting a review on line! We are pleased and gratified to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our clean rooms, complimentary coffee in our lobby and the convenience of our bar. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I've stayed in many a HGI all over the US and this is probably the best HGI that I have stayed at. I prefer mainline Hilton Hotels over their lesser tier brands such as HGIs and Hampton Inns as the service and amenities are generally better, but this hotel comes as close to being a mainline property as they come.

Very attentive staff starting with the valet parking attendants. You usually won't find valet parking at a HGI but they have it here even though the parking lot is adjacent....it's a nice touch that I used and appreciated. $15 a day.

Prior to arriving, I had called "Meghan" at the front desk to see about getting some nice rooms blocked being a Hilton Diamond member. She was most accommodating, friendly and certainly service oriented either by training or personality. I suspect a bit of both. Upon checking in a few days later, she remembered talking with me and was most gracious. Very impressive for an employee with limited experiences simply based on her young age. A valuable employee as were all those at the front desk.

I found all the employees here that I encountered to be well above the average for such a property. Whoever is running this facility knows how to hire and train good people and I'm including all from the front desk, to "Joe", the bar tender, breakfast waitstaff and housekeepers who are often the most overlooked, overworked and underpaid personnel at any hotel.....and the most important as far as I'm concerned. They know how to make a room look like you're the first one to ever occupy it.

This is an exceptionally clean and very well maintained property. Zero comments here other than to say that you won't see anything out of place here, at least not from what I could see.

The breakfast was maybe a notch above the standard HGI breakfast fare. Fairly limited in the fruit area in the morning but up north in the winter, that's pretty much the norm, but I think a little more effort could be expended here. Made to order eggs, bacon,sausage, etc....it's basic but decent.

A room on the waterfront is worth the view though I wonder about traffic noise during the summer months from the very busy shorefront street below. However, our room was very quiet. Very spacious, too! Large bathroom more typical in size for a mainline Hilton though not as luxurious as you would find there. Nice tv with lots of channels. Ask for some feather pillows if you don't like the foam version.

Can't be the location for being in Portland's Old Port for walking, shopping and eating.....and more eating at some very fine restaurants.....try Fore Street and Street and. Co......great places......

I can't see how you could not enjoy this property.......

Room Tip: Get one with a view of the harbor but watch the traffic noise in the summer if you're sensitive...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AbenakiW
HiltonGardenInnGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear AbenakiW,

Thank you kindly for such a glowing, detailed review of us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront. We are pleased to read that you found us in tip top shape, the entire team, as you so generously noted, works very hard to make each experience our guest has with us as close to perfect as possible. I am glad we did not disappoint. I will share this wonderful review at our next "All Staff" meeting. Everyone will enjoy it very much. I hope your travels find you back with us again soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Great location, nice rooms (half have water views), excellent rates (especially in winter), nice staff. Standard Baking next door is a great treat in the morning. Walking distance to lots of great restaurants and shops.

Dear TomWilhelm,

Thank you for your 5 star review! We are pleased and gratified to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that you can visit us again in the summer time and enjoy our Harbor view rooms. Portland is a wonderful city and our location makes it easy to walk to a multitude of shops and restaurants. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My companion and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this waterfront hotel in downtown Portland. The hotel is near the great restaurants, boutiques, shops and stores of the Old Port District of this cosmopolitan city in the state of Maine. Very friendly and efficient staff.

Dear Robert D,

Thank you for contributing such a wonderful review! We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our excellent location and that our staff stood out to you as being friendly and helpful. We want you to feel at home here. We hope that you can stay with us again when you return to Portland, Maine!

April Rossigol

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Really enjoyed the stay here. The location is awesome and the staff was truly professional. A ton of great food spots are within walking distance. We dined in once due to the weather and had a nice meal. My wife ordered the Ice Cream three times (over the course of the week). The valet crew was prompt and really made it personal by letting the car warm up. For my first time in Maine...I really felt special. Will come back!

Room Tip: Check in time is 4pm. The higher floors have the best view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear JuniorCritic,

Thank you for the positive feedback in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront. We are pleased and gratified that you enjoyed your stay so much. Our location is so convenient, and our staff really make the difference. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Wow...this our 4th year heading back to the Hilton Garden Inn in Downtown Portland. We find the location, the rooms, the view, the proximity of shops, restaurants and activities perfect for a getaway.
The lobby is upscale and comfy with a fireplace that separates it from the bar area. There were 2 computers available for your use as well.. Just off the lobby is the exercise room, holds about 5 people, and a salt-water lap pool/hot tub.
We had a standard corner room on the 6th floor with a view like no other!
Everything was in great working order, plenty of hot water, ac/heating system worked quietly. I am sure this hotel gets it share of visitors and is probably one of the busiest hotels int he area. With that said, the hotel itself looks as if it's brand new, and it's sparkling clean too!
One of the perks with my HHonors account is breakfast is complementary. Perfectly cooked eggs, pancakes, waffles, french toast, gosh, you name it and they served it! The pastries were very eye catching, I can only imagine how delicious they were, fluffy cruellers, filled donuts, muffins...oh my, anyone with a sweet tooth would find them hard to resist.
Valet is on-top of things...we never had to wait for our car. I requested the shuttle to take us about a mile away (windy, freezing, snowy, made us decide not to walk). Unfortunately, valet got too busy and we couldn't use the shuttle, the desk had taken the liberty of calling us a cab instead, we appreciated that gesture!
Many times we ran into housekeeping who always, always smiled and said hello. I guess if you take care of your staff, everything else falls into place~and you all must take excellent care of your staff!
I am counting the days till we return. Thank you Portland Hilton Garden Inn.

Room Tip: Worth it to pay for a water view room.

Dear 2toots,

Thank you for your glowing 5 star review! We aim for a flawless experience for our guests and it seems we just may have hit the mark during your stay! We are a close team and strive for excellence, I am glad you appreciate all of our hard work from check in, through the room, breakfast and valet. I will pass the lovely feedback onto my staff. I hope that we see you again soon.