This is a typical Garden Inn property..hotel rooms all look alike (throughout the US). Though I will say the finishes on the walls were a few grades up from typical Garden Inns and the lobby space was inviting and modern and clean looking. The much discussed swim pool, is, in fact, a LAP pool... not what I thought, so I didn't use it. We were there over the Thanksgiving holiday. We checked in on Thursday morning.. and here it gets a little sketchy. Since this hotel is pet friendly, we brought our small parrot. Since we had our small parrot, we needed to check in when we arrived in Portland which was a little after noontime. (The parrot can't stay in the cold [and it WAS cold] car and we couldn't take him to a house with a cat and a dog which was our Thanksgiving destination) I called the day before and spoke with someone in charge about the possibility of checking in early...he allowed that the hotel was nearly empty the night before Thanksgiving so he didn't see it as a problem. However, when we arrived, the valet whisked us in, the front desk knew all about our request (the lobby was EMPTY) and so our room was said to be waiting. Oh, it was waiting, but because we made this special request...somehow we were given a room with no view, no sun and generally unsatisfactory given that we were paying top dollar. I, of course, knew that this was a possibility... but, given that the hotel was nearly empty the night before... would it have been so hard to find us a room with a lovely harbor view...given that our rate was not at all discounted.... ? Apparently not so. I can understand giving people Siberia rooms if they have obtained the booking at half price on some network consolidator or if the hotel is heaving with customers and that is that. But, this incident left me a little irritated. It was unnecessary and poor management. Now, I am just waiting for the new Westin to open...
the Hilton Garden Inn location is wonderful. The breakfast was expensive and only a half a step above the free ones at the Hampton Inn right up the street. In general I would love this property, except for feeling ripped off.... by a poor choice on the part of the front desk.
The rooms are relatively clean..however, I did find a stray coat button under the bed, which would lead me to believe that it hadn't been recently or regularly vacuumed. The room set up is nice with refrig/microwave/coffee maker in room.
We may be back --- but, competition will get stiffer very soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront Portland hotel in Portalnd, Maine is perfectly situated in the city's Historic Old Port District and offers fantastic views of Casco Bay and Portland's working waterfront. Everything is within walking distance and you will enjoy the convenience of boutique shopping, gourmet restaurants, and fabulous art galleries being nearby. Steps from our Portland, ME hotel's front door you will find the Portland Trails jogging path, fishing and sailing tours, as well as great family attractions. We're also conveniently located near area attractions such as Hadlock Field, home of the Red Sox affiliate Portland Seadogs, Portland Museum of Art, Merrill Auditorium and Cumberland County Civic Center. Beautiful Maine rocky coast and sand beaches are within a short drive!Hilton Garden Inn Portland, Maine Hotel Features...• 120 hotel guestrooms, many with ocean views• Great American Grill® serving a full service, made to order breakfast buffet• Evening hotel room service• Lobby bar serving dinner nightly• 2 state-of-the-art meeting rooms for groups from 2 to 50• On-site catering for meetings, receptions, breakfasts, lunches and dinners for small groups• 24-hour Pavilion Pantry convenience mart• Complimentary shuttle service (airport and local businesses)• Valet Parking• Complimentary 24-hour business center• Complimentary high-speed, wireless internet service throughout hotel• Indoor heated pool and whirlpool• Complimentary fitness facilityThe 120 oversized guestrooms at the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland feature...• Waterfront or Portland, Maine city views!• Complimentary secure printing to the 24-hour business center• Oversized work desk, ergonomic chair and desk level outlets• Two dual-line speakerphones with voicemail• Refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker• Iron, ironing board and hairdryer• USA Today each weekday morning• Non smoking and accessible rooms availableAttractions near the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland, ME include...• 5 miles from Portland International Airport• Within walking distance from the waterfront• 1/2 mile from I-295 and I-95• 1 mile from the Cumberland County Civic Center• 12 miles from Freeport, home of L.L. Bean• 10 miles from the famous lighthouses of Portland, MaineCome enjoy the hospitality at our Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland, Maine.***** Everything. Right where you need it. ***** ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Hilton Hotels Direct, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront Hotel Portland
- Portland Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Portland
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront Maine