“Good food, subpar service”

DiMillo's Old Port Marina
Ranked #12 of 151 things to do in Portland
Newport News, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good food, subpar service”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

DiMillo's crab cakes were superb--possibly the best thing I had in Maine. However, even they could not salvage our experience. The service was deplorable. Our waitress was completely inept. We wound up spending over 2 hours at the restaurant; while there was a lovely view, we were mainly stuck wondering where our food was. The wait time was far too long & I was very disappointed that this experience didn't live up to the hype.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Floating restaurant”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Crowded with a wait list but we were seated quickly in the lounge area which served the full dinner menu. Our waiter was friendly and efficient and the food was tasty and reasonably priced.

Indiana
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“we paid for the view”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Our food was good as was the service...but not above average. The view was amazing :)

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A nice experience in Portland”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Dinner at DiMillo's is an experience. It is very beautiful. Gets high marks for ambiance. We went to celebrate my father in law's birthday. Initially, they sat us at a table in the center of the restaurant and I immediately asked for a window table, as it was a Tuesday evening, rainy and it wasn't overly busy. I did wonder why we weren't offered a window seat to begin with but we didn't have any difficulty getting reseated. Our meal was delightful. We all ordered lobster and it was scrumptious! The drinks didn't taste very good however. I ordered a creme brulee martini which tasted very dry and not sweet and then a margarita which also did not taste very good. I should have stuck with beer or wine. But overall, the server was attentive and the meal delicious. We really enjoyed this meal overall.

Lynnfield, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Pleasant Experience”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Dinner at DiMillo's was a nice surprise. This restaurant has been in Portland for many years and apparently it's a favorite with the locals. It's located on a dock at the marina. From what I understand it was once a large ferryboat that they turned into a restaurant. I believe it's family owned and operated. The weather was nice so we sat out on the patio. We started off with the meatball appetizer. Boy, what a way to start off dinner. Two huge meatballs covered in delicious marinara sauce and topped off with a scoop of creamy ricotta cheese. Heaven! Next we both had a spinach salad. Another delicious choice. Real bacon bits on the salad, a bit of onion, a hard cooked egg and we settled on the balsamic dressing rather than the dressing that normally comes with this salad. To go with my salad I had shrimp cocktail. I thought they were a big pricey, at $4.50 each. But I have to say they were the biggest and best shrimp I've ever had. I ordered 4 shrimp, thinking they wouldn't be that large, and ended up only being able to eat two. They were huge and very well cooked. My husband had the twin lobster special, which came with a potato side. He chose the roasted fingerling potatoes. Our server was friendly and very easy to work with. The only thing I will say is the service was a bit slow, but other than that we really enjoyed our experience at DiMillo's and will return again the next time we visit Portland.

Visited May 2012