“Return Visit... Thumbs Up”
Review of Inn On Carleton

Inn On Carleton
Ranked #2 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I just spent two nights at the Inn and would absolutely go back. Comfortable, cozy, friendly ( who wouldn't love Cindy's sweetness and enthusiasm?). We had the best dinner we have had in quite awhile at Five Fifty-five restaurant. A suggestion from a member of the staff. They pay attention to the detail which we appreciate. Thumbs up...we will be back!

There are newer reviews for Inn On Carleton

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for 3 days over Christmas. It is a beautiful old brownstone and we had a nicely decorated bedroom and bath on the top floor. Excellent mattress, lots of hot water and plenty of water pressure. We really did feel comfortable using the common area since the innkeepers said we could and the innkeepers had their own private space. The breakfasts were fabulous! Eggs, french toast, fruit -- all enough to give us a great start to the day. We walked the 5 blocks or so down to the Old Port and had an amazing dinner at Five Fifty-Five. All in all, a great stay in a really fun city.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The Inn on Carlton is a restored Victorian home in a quiet residential neighborhood close to downtown. Parking is provided. Check in is between 3 and 7. We were told if we could not make it by 7, they would leave keys and information for us. Our room was #3 on 2nd floor. As this was the end of our New England trip, we had difficulty getting luggage up 2 staircases (outside and inside). Because of stairs, i would recommend another location if you have any mobility issues. Our room was lovely with large king bed, electric fireplace and layout that felt like a suite. The high ceilings and chandeliers provided an elegant touch. The Inn keepers were warm and helpful. My only complaints were housekeeping and breakfast. When I moved the nightstand to access the outlet, I was stunned to see major dust bunnies. As I have dust allergy, I found myself stuffy in the morning. Breakfast started with fruit cup and grocery store type blueberry muffin with fake blueberries. Several pieces of fruit were rotten in fruit cup and since we were in blueberry country, I expected a muffin with real fruit, preferably home made. Next came eggs cooked to order, bacon or sausage, grilled crossant and home fries. The eggs were over done, potatoes were cold and bacon was really greasy. I heard other table with same complaint about cold home fries. Overall, we enjoyed our stay but probably will not return.

1  Thank PAHITTHEROAD
b757ac, Owner at Inn On Carleton, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

We are just heart broken over this past review. We take each and every review to heart. We are sorry that these guest did not enjoy there stay with us. I am the owner and the Innkeeper of the Inn on Carleton and also my pride and joy. I for one will make sure to check each room for any dust bunnies that may have found there way into the Inn. As for breakfast I was the one that helped out that morning and feel so bad that these guest did not enjoy the breakfast and wish they would have said something that morning. We would have gone out of our way to make them something else or even warm the potatoes that were not warm for some reason. That morning I believe we did have homemade cranberry muffins not blueberry. but not important. From our past reviews you can see that we will go above and beyond for our guest to enjoy there stay with us. Happy Holidays from all of us here at the Inn
Warm Regards
Buddy Innkeeper

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Thank you Dillon for a great stay at the Inn on Carleton! The rooms, meals and service were perfect. I've had the great pleasure to stay at many luxury hotels and top rated B&B's, and the Inn on Carleton is certainly top notch. The inn and it's keepers provided a warm and friendly home base during my stay in Portland. Dillon made wonderful meals, and upon my early departure on my last morning(5:45am), he had homemade muffins & hot coffee ready for me on my way out the door. Simply the best. I also had the pleasure to meet Cindy, and she is just plain awesome. Major Kudos to Dillon and Cindy. I pray Y'all and your families have a wonderful and magical Christmas!
I look forward to my next trip up to Portland and a Brilliant stay at the Inn on Carleton!
Thanks!
Daniel F.
Atlanta, GA

Room Tip: All the rooms looked beautiful. I stayed in room 1 and it was really nice with the windows and morni...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We spent two nights at the Inn On Carleton and will certainly be coming back. The atmosphere was perfect, historic and charming but with all the modern amenities. Our room #1 was large and comfortable and the bathroom had a great shower with good water pressure. We usually stay in the Old Port area when we go to Portland and I was a little worried that this would feel far away. But the walk was quick (just 1 mile to Exchange St.) and there were lots of interesting shops and restaurants along the way. Even with some very cold weather we felt the location was great.

Other items, breakfast was delicious both mornings. We spent some time one afternoon enjoying the sitting room with tea, magazines and piano. The radiators in our room didn't seem to be working at one point, but Dylan was very helpful and got the heat going for us. When he came back up a little later to make sure everything was ok, he came bearing plate of fresh cookies. :-) Friendly staff, beautiful building, good location, comfortable, chic atmosphere, we have only good things to say.

Thanks for a great weekend!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

The location is great, the facility itself is a gem and the owners are very personable. For that I give it 4 stars. But from the moment I checked in, the manager's attitude was totally off-putting. Having chatted with the owners, this young fellow, Dylan, clearly has their confidence ("like a member of the family") but he could kill their business. Myself, I would think thrice before staying there again and putting up with his nonsense.

For instance, the first morning he asked how I would like my eggs. When I said poached, he replied "I knew you'd say that" in a way that suggested it was just too much trouble for him. I don't need that first thing in the morning. (He did, however, produce very good eggs.)

Later, when the weather turned and I said I'd like to stay another night, he replied that I'd have to change rooms. For the same rate ($110), I'd need to move upstairs. Really? On a Monday in December? Oh well. I supposed my room had been previously booked and the inference was that they were nearly full. About 10 minutes later he informed me "we've decided" that I didn't have to move after all. Turned out that there was only one other room, of 6 in all, occupied that night. Jeezzz.

This guy needs some serious customer service training although I noticed that his attitude was much much better when an owner was within earshot. "Would you like some cookies to take with you?" Ugh.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank chasinchelsea
b757ac, Owner at Inn On Carleton, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Response to "Snide Manager" Review on Trip Advisor: We do have an assistant Innkeeper which Dillion takes so much pride in working here at the Inn when I am not here.
As always we take every review to heart and want nothing more then to meet our guests needs. We take great pride in always welcoming guests with professional enthuisam. The first impression is very important.!!!!!!!
Rooms are available for checkin at 3PM and this gentleman had walked in at 1PM asking if we had rooms available that evening and asked about the prices of the rooms. We had no issue showing him the rooms available and explained the room rates. This gentleman scoffed at the prices and decided on a room at the lowest rate. We then helped him take his bags to his room and even helped plan his trip in Portland offering him sites to see and attractions to visit including restaurants. He seemed very pleased with us helping him.
As far as breakfast is concerned, we are always able to provide granola, yogurt, and fresh fruit, the special dish of the day, and eggs made to order. In this case the gentleman was offered the hot dish of the day, which he kindly refused, and we offered to make him eggs any style. We always strive to make the guest feel as comfortable and provide an excellent breakfast, and will never have an issue producing poached eggs. All that being done with a smile.
When the guest asked to stay another night, we knew we had availability. However, a guest had reserved the room he was staying in. We needed to contact that guest beforehand to offer them an upgraded room. Contacting the guest who already reserved that room is the right thing to do in this case.
All in all we here at the Inn on Carleton take pride in providing excellent guest services, which the numerous tripadvisor reviews demonstrate.
Sincerely
Buddy Marcum Innkeeper

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We returned to the Inn at Carleton for another long thanksgiving weekend. It was like returning home. Buddy and Cindy make the elegance, charm and comfort of the Inn a one -of-a kind place. The rooms are warm and inviting and the breakfasts are delicious. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2013