“Delightful!”
Review of Inn On Carleton

Inn On Carleton
Ranked #4 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We found the Inn on Carleton on Trip Advisor and are happy we did. The property is just lovely. Beautiful rooms, totally charming in design and furnishings. The service was phenomenal. And, breakfast was delicious. All in all, a perfect getaway. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 14, 2012

This inn has been carefully restored, with lovely furnishings. Very comfortable and cozy.
Breakfast was disappointing -- limp, discolored orange slice and strawberries, eggs not cooked as ordered, banana bread tasting unpleasantly of artificial flavoring.
Innkeeper might want to take it down a notch. Guests don't need to be addressed at high volume, or hovered over to feel welcome. We know you mean well.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EKM889
b757ac, Owner at Inn On Carleton, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

We take any and all reviews to the heart so this one baffled us. I take so much pride and joy in the inn and go out of our way to make guest feel at home. As you can see from the other reviews guest leave the inn like family. We wish if any guest does not enjoy there stay please let us know so we can make it right. This couple seemed very happy at checkout and even told us upon leaving they would be back. We love to hear from our guest what we are doing right and of course if we can make things any better
Buddy. Owner /Innkeeper

Reviewed February 8, 2012

This inn was phenomenal. The room was hotel quality with the perk of being extremely clean and cosy. The breakfast was wonderful. They were extremely welcoming and generous. One of the best places we've stayed.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Not only was the Inn charming and beautiful but the Inn Keepers were spectacular! Most delicious breakfast, beautifully appointed, spacious rooms. Just wonderful. Can't wait to go back in the spring when the garden is in bloom.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #1 which was beautiful but room # 3 looked quite beautiful too.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2012

The Inn On Carleton was the perfect place for me to stay. Everything was clean, beautiful and simple. The staff went out of their way to make me feel at home. Buddy was helpful, kind and available anytime I needed him. The Inn was very quiet & had the most welcoming energy. Thank You for a perfect night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Let me start off with a few facts about myself. I am cynical, like to critique, and rarely like to give full credit for doing what was promised. I bring this personal info up so those that are trying to decide where to stay in Portland know that I am serious when I say this is the only place you should consider. True, I have not stayed anywhere else, and therefore, I do not doubt there are many other quality places. But this B&B delivers!
Starting with our arrival, where after a 2+ hour drive we were met with a smile and welcoming voice of the owner, Buddy, who seemed more excited about our arrival then we were. He then proceeded to take all of our luggage up to the top floor to our room, which seems minor but it set the mood and left us with a very good feeling about the place.
Moving onto the rooms, they are at least exactly what I envision a room in a New England B&B should look like. While we only stayed in our room, we were able to have a peak in most of the others as we walked through the inn. Each room has a special feeling of comfort and coziness. Our room had a nice, comfortable bed...a little gas fireplace, big bathroom with bath, TV, and reading chair. It felt private, but was easily accessible. Usually when you stay at a hotel of sorts you intend to spend less time in your room for obvious reasons. But at this inn, part of the trip should be used to relax and enjoy your room.
Moving on to the other aspects of the place. Breakfast is part of the reservation. There is a nice little 'dining area' next to their living room, which has a fireplace, comfortable seating and reading materials. The breakfast is great, at the level of anything else you could get in town. The food is made by your host Buddy, who is always willing to customize a meal for you, tho I suggest going with his morning special. As great as the food was, the service was even better. We had the fortunate opportunity to have Cindy to greet us each morning and provide us with everything we need. She is incredibly kind and sweet. She knows the area well, and is always willing to help you with you plans (as is Buddy). Cindy and Buddy both truly seem to care about who you are and what you think, and they are sincere.
In terms of location, it is in a great spot within the west end of Portland. You can walk to several great bars, restaurants, and shops. Or, you can easily take a taxi to the Port or west end.  I love where this inn is because it is close enough to everything, but far enough away to have privacy and relaxation.
It seems like most of the other reviews agree with me on how great this place is. But like in life, there are always a few people who take their high demands and unrealistic personal experiences and make comments off of that. While I have been bias and in favor of this B&B, as I started this review I remain someone who is not easily impressed. And I am trying to pass along info that I think would be helpful for someone who is trying to determine if this is the right place for them. Parking is not a problem, a barking dog is not a problem, and a sweet breakfast is not a problem. Problems only exist if you are 'one of those type of people'...and I think most of you know what I am talking about.
I highly recommend this place and cannot wait for a return visit in the spring!
Thank you Buddy and Cindy!

Room Tip: Look online, certain rooms have gas fireplaces. All the rooms offer something unique.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed here for five nights in January. The owner is most gracious and extremely helpful to us in recommeding and making reservations at outstanding restaurants. The rooms are each decorated gorgeously. No details are overlooked. The breakfasts were also something that we looked forward to each morning. We have stayed at many inns over the past 35 years but this ranks at the very top.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple