“Great stay at the Carleton!”
Review of Inn On Carleton

Inn On Carleton
Ranked #4 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Glen Head, New York
“Great stay at the Carleton!”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

It was our first time in Maine on our 10th wedding anniversary and we had a such a great stay! The staff Cindy, Kathy and Buddy were very welcoming and make you feel like family. My wife and I stayed in room three which is the only room with a king size bed. It was a very spacious room. My only wish for the room would be a small fridge.

The breakfasts were excellent and restaurant quality. One of the things we liked most was the location, which was very close to all the worth activities in downtown Portland. There's no doubt as to where we'll be staying the next time we visit Portland!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I were lucky enough to stay at this wonderful Inn this week. What a wonderful surprise it was, not only the Inn itself but the Portland Maine area as well. If you are looking for a new place to explore in New England you should try Portland. There are so many things to do and fantastic restaurants to visit. My husband was home on a two week leave from Kuwait and Buddy, Kathy and Cindy from the Carleton made us feel so welcome. There was beautiful flowers in the room and delicious chocolates when we arrived. There were fresh baked cookies in the dining room with wonderful teas and coffee to chose from. And if you stay for no other reason stay for the breakfast it was to die for. I think Buddy must have been a gourmet cook in a previous life because breakfast was delicious. And he had the most wonderful staff to make us feel right at home. The room was spotless and comfortable and there was everything in the room we could have needed. We will be back for another trip when my husband is safely home from Kuwait. Do yourself a favor and take a night to stay at this wonderful Inn and explore the beautiful Portland area, you won't regret it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Westbrook, Maine
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending New Year's Eve at the Inn with several friends. The accomodations were fantastic! We stayed in Room 3 and it was like having a private suite to ourselves.The bed was comfortable and the room decor was soothing. Buddy is a very personable host and you can tell that he enjoys meeting people! We were treated to a fabulous breakfast on Sunday morning that began with a pear coffee cake followed by Eggs Benedict. The atmosphere was relaxed and cozy. We wanted to stay longer! The Inn is located on a quaint street in Portland's West End lined with brick Victorian homes. Inside you can't help but notice all of the detailed mouldings, high ceilings, huge chandeliers and a sweeping staircase.The lounge area has comfortable seating and a cozy fireplace. This theme is carried on into the dining room. I would recommend this Inn for a nice relaxing stay.

1 Thank lae721
Westbrook, Maine
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We had previously stayed with Buddy at his first inn and when he opened this new one, we wanted to try this as well. We were not disappointed. The rooms were large and very well appointed - comfort was the theme!! We had a fabulous breakfast the next morning. I would definitely recommend the Inn on Carleton to family and friends.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We arrived for a mid week, two night stay and were warmly greeted by Buddy. We were shown to our room and he carried our baggage up the stairs for us. Be sure to ask Buddy for his dining recommendations. He recommended my favorite meal of the whole trip. Listen to the man.

The location was great. Parking is notoriously bad downtown but we could park at the inn and walk to our destinations easily. The whole staff was very nice and welcoming and the parlor was comfortable and lovely to look upon.

Our room was well decorated and pleasing to the eye, but on closer inspection was a bit disappointing. Most importantly, there was a lot of dust in the less visible places, under the bed, on the top of the carved headboard and wood furniture. The website claims the room has a fireplace. At first it appeared to be a gas fireplace but it was actually an electric forced air heater with a scrolling cut out light show to give the appearance of flames. Nonetheless it kept the room warm but noisy.

Several reviews I read had high praise for the breakfasts but the food did not live up to my expectations. First, the dining room set up is at once crowded and isolating. There is little maneuvering room in the small area crowded with 2 tops. The noise of other couples chatting is overwhelming and you find yourself jostled and dodging as the diners and waitstaff move through. I would have preferred a large family style seating arrangement; it would be much more quiet and comfortable.

The food is mediocre at best. The only fresh fruit served as garnish alone. The first morning was baked french toast. It was allegedly “stuffed” french toast but I could not decipher any stuffing. It was topped with 3 slices of canned peaches and accompanied with 3 slices of tired looking bacon. Portion sizes were rather small although that was just fine as we were doing a lot of eating around town. The second morning’s offering was a “frittata” an egg casserole littered with bell peppers with home fries and turkey apple sausage. I loathe bell peppers. I requested plain eggs to replace the frittata. My fellow diners looked a little jealous and my husband reported the frittata was fine but dominated by the taste of the peppers. The home fries and sausage were cold and unremarkable.

It was not a bad overall experience, I simply expect a little more from the trip advisor’s number one ranked B&B in town. When we return to Portland, I will seek other accommodations.

b757ac, Owner at Inn On Carleton, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
I am so confused with this review. This guest was a little upset upon checkin due to the fact that the room she wanted a larger deluxe room and we were booked full since she had booked at the last minute. However I helped her and her husband with bags to there room, and then helped with dinner reservations so they could relax . The room they were booked in is a guest favorite. We had just put in a brand new bathroom one week before and I know for sure that room was clean from top to bottom by all of the Inn staff and myself. As for the breakfast we take great pride in what we serve. We always have fresh fruit, yogurts and homemade granola and the entree of the day. We always have eggs to order so guests have a few choices. When she checked out she even wrote in our guest book that the" Inn was a beautiful place!!" We urge any of our guests if they have any issues to please let us know so we can make your stay an enjoyable one for you. The Inn is my pride and joy and do hope the other reviews on tripadvisor show that.
Best Regards
Buddy
Maine
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We had a most fabulous stay at the Inn on Carleton. This has been our New Year's Eve tradition for the last several years. Buddy, the innkeeper, or one of his attentive staff is always on hand to meet your every need. Our tastefully appointed room with fireplace made us feel surrounded with warmth and comfort. After a wonderful night of great rest, we were presented with a delicious breakfast, in the cozy dining room. It started with a pear coffee cake which was followed by Eggs Benedict. The presentation made us each feel special and most welcome. We hated to leave after such awesome hospitality, but we will be back soon for our summer visit. Buddy -your the best!!!!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are most comfortable. We have stayed in #1 and #4