“Good Food - Snooty Patrons”
Review of Aurora Provisions

Aurora Provisions
Ranked #137 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Description: It's not technically a restaurant, but the baked goods, sandwiches, service, and choices are enough to warrant it a spot on Trip Advisor.
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I live 'in the hood' and will go into Aurora now and again.... mostly to order take-out food from their yummy offerings. I generally find the staff to be warm, helpful and accommodating. I also generally find the patrons to be a bunch of snobs from the West End, or the wealthy suburbs of Portland. Today's crowd during our eat-in experience was a little less snooty than usual; a little more easy-going, and there were (unfortunately) several children nearby- though they were mostly well-behaved for a change. The ordering process is confusing, as there are no instructions for doing so if you're not familiar with the set-up. But moving around the counter from deli area to sandwich area to drink order counter.... we were able to figure it out.

I ordered a masala iced chai tea which is a black tea with milk, ginger, honey and cinnamon. It was okay, but I didn't love it (I think because the ginger gave it a slightly odd flavor). My sister had the SouthWest turkey sandwich, which had turkey breast, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and cranberry sauce on French peasant bread. I ordered the lemon parmesan chicken with side of quinoa tabouli. It was a decent portion and tasted good, with the chicken being crispy on the outside and tender in the middle.... but the food came out tepid in temperature. The young man at the counter gave me slight attitude when I asked him to reheat my food, but at least he removed the quinoa from the plate before he did, as he realized it should be served cool.

I will go back to Aurora for the food, which is not inexpensive .... but not to mingle among the customers, whom I find most unpleasant, except on this day.

1  Thank James F

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Loved their soup, salads and sandwiches so much we are here twice. Very friendly staff. Great place, you will not be disappointed

1  Thank castlefan
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I do like going to Aurora for lunch, but a few times lately I have ordered food that turned out to be completely different than what I thought it would be. Ex: Secret ingredient in the chicken salad is occasionally bleu cheese. Today I ordered sweet potato chowder that looked ( and tasted) like chunky tomato soup. They will certainly shoot me attitude when I ask them for a list of ingredients - but better than me throwing the meal away. And yes - ATTITUDE - is what you get from most of the staff.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

when I visit Aurora Provisions. I have purchased items from this establishment on a number of occasions - lunch, a frozen meal to go, desserts or just a bottle of wine. Each time, I have a very hard time attracting the attention of the wait staff, even when I am the only one in the store, even when the staff isn't engaged in private conversation. Sometimes I just put my stuff down and leave. It is like I am invisible, maybe I am not wearing the right outfit?

3  Thank TabithaJordan
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We loved Aurora Provisions!!! I do have to say right off that it isn´t cheap. But the food is creative and delicious. They have a wide variety of baked goods, sandwiches, wraps, and a fantastic section where you can mix a variety different salads and meats...such as baked squash, couscous salad, grilled tofu, marinated steak, baked fish etc. They also have fresh baked bread from the best bakery in town, great cofee and espresso drinks, a selection of wine, beer and special cheeses. AND many other things!!! It has something for everone so people with different tastes will find something they like. It´s a great place to sit and enjoy an afternoon in a great neighborhood. I wish it were in my neighborhood!!