“Just OK”

Add it.
El Rayo Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had rice & bean bowls at El Rayo. We were seated inside near the grill which was pretty hot for an evening in July since there's no a/c. The rice & bean bowls were mostly spicy hot without much other flavors. No chips & salsa with the meal. Just average for a Mexican meal.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The food is not your average Maine Mexican restaurant fare. Fresh and interesting and delicious. Jalapeño cilantro margarita is another draw!

1  Thank bluecove
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I have always enjoyed the taqueria next door. Chocolate pudding to die for!

This is also them and just as delightful. A bit Fancier, more intimate. Slightly different menu.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

i live near portland and have kept pretty good track of the restaurant scene but somethings gotta give...either I eat at every restaurant which will keep me busy for over a year and keep my weight over 250 pounds....or I find out about places like this after they've been around for a while.
I'm not into mexican at all, btw....I think it is basically the world's most overrated cuisine, and yes, I have had REAL mexican food....
So this was pretty good. We had a number of appetizers including beef and pork meatballs, chips, a number of other appetizers including fried plantains, and the six of us had pollock veracruz (fish of the day, which was pretty good), fish tacos, regular tacos, and a few other interesting dishes. Over all it was very good but certainly wasn't great; of note is that of the four columns on the menu, 3 are for alcoholic beverages and only one for food! Service was fine, friendly, fast; prices were medium - $282 with tip for 6 - about $45 a person - good desserts - key lime pie and a melted chocolate mousse - pretty nice interior, has an outdoor patio which of course doesn't get a lot of use in Maine in February...I would go back; mixed crowd mostly younger people - not a standout but a very solid place, and I suspect if you are into tequila its appeal is even greater.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Seemed more 'real' than most Mexican in Maine but I've really not any experience to back that up. It can get busy, especially with the fundraiser nights but being patient will eventually get you a seat and a fabulous meal. Everything was good; even though I was skeptical it would be fresh, the "Mexico city style corn on the cob" was my favorite!