“a pleasant hotel in downtown portland”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Portland
New York
“a pleasant hotel in downtown portland”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Our one night stay at the Portland Harbor Hotel was pleasant and relaxing. The beds were soft and comfortable. Based on the pictures, I feared a decrepit old dirty grandma hotel, but this place was actually quite comfy and clean. I was really looking for a modern looking B&B but there were none to be found in the area, and at the last minute I booked this hotel at around $300. I appreciated the slippers and the little lobster chocolates left on our pillows. I also liked that they used eco-friendly bath products. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
brooklyn, new york
Reviewed September 4, 2010

My husband, daughter and I stayed for two nights at the Portland Harbor a few weeks back. We had a truly bad experience with service, starting with check in when we were not given the garden facing room we had paid addition money for to the shower drain that was never unclogged to the need to pull someone from housekeeping to get our room made quite late in the afternoon on the only full day we were there. When we checked out and expressed our unhappiness -- though we were vocal in a kind way about it right from the get go -- we were offered "breakfast on the house." Considering the nearly $700.00 bill for those two nights (and, no, there was no room service or any extra tv fees on that, though, yes, two nights of valet parking) we expected more than simply being offered a free breakfast for such a poor experience. And though I have written to the General Manager, we had received radio silence. I would discourage anyone from staying here. Far better places in the area where the price and service will not appall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank milton011
Milford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 1, 2010

The facilities are very nice, the rooms are comfortable and the hotel is well located in the Old Port section of town. The problem we encountered was that, although the staff was very friendly and helpful, the hotel was understaffed. This is particularly the case with respect to valet parking with respect to which I was at one point unable to locate the one valet/bell hop for the entire hotel and after waiting for five minutes, had to call the front desk to have a different staff member sent to park the car.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. It's too bad the inadequate staffing is holding the hotel back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We had stayed at the Portland Harbor Hotel previously, and always enjoyed it. This time was no different. It's clean, the location is great (within walking distance to everything!), staff is helpful, professional and friendly, and the rooms are lovely. FYI - there was no room safe, so leave your valuables at home. Also, no bar fridge, but that wasn't a big deal for us. We had some lovely meals while in Portland - Duckfat is great for lunch, Fore St. for dinner was very nice, but the menu is a bit on the ho-hum side, and Flatbread Pizza for the best pizza around. $3 Dewey's is fun for a quick beer and to set a spell. Try Standard Bakery's olive bread. Wear your walking shoes, because you'll put on plenty of mileage.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Carmel, California
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I checked into my room at 10 pm which was too late for any room service or food, the restaurant closed at 9:30 on a Friday evening, I asked for an extra blanket for my room, the flabbergasted front desk told me that he had searched the entire hotel and there was not one to be found. I was rudely awakened, after a restless sleep due to not having a blanket in my room, I was awakened by house keeping at 8:30 am. This has never happened to me in all my travels, to be rudely awakened so early way before check out, when you are a weary traveler, a couple of extra hours of sleep can really make a difference! They knocked on my door and then opened the door!! I was exhausted the entire day, due to these mistakes. I had traveled for a job interview, and have never experienced this kind of unprofessionalism in a hotel, especially at these prices, over 200.00 a night. This hotel could be great, but they have horrible management, and if they continue this type of bad service, they won't last too long.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank femalenomadtraveler
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I recently spent a couple of days in Portland and chose PHH from a NY Times article recommendation. The NYT were spot-on. Excellent hotel, beautiful rooms, perfect location in old/downtown Portland. I really enjoyed my time there and will definitely choose PHH again when I go back to Portland.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Florida
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The staff were friendly, the location just setps away from wonderful shoppin and dining. The room was clean with a firm king mattress and the bathroom was large and accomodating.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple