“Quiet Comfort in the Old Harbor”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The staff were friendly, the location just setps away from wonderful shoppin and dining. The room was clean with a firm king mattress and the bathroom was large and accomodating.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,506)

Reviewed August 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night and the night following the wedding in the Executive Suite. The reception staff were rude and condescending - they had guaranteed me the day before the wedding that the suite would be available for a 1:00 check-in; however, when I called on the actual wedding day, I was told they "can't guarantee anything." We therefore had to scramble since some of the bridal party had been planning on getting ready there that afternoon. The air conditioning was not working and the room temperature was intolerable for most of both nights. After 4 calls to the maintenance/front desk staff this was eventually addressed on the last night of our stay (about 8 hours before check-out). There was no cold water (makes it difficult to brush your teeth). Most definitely NOT worth the money we paid for the executive suite.

5  Thank manni013
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed at the Portland Harbor Hotel for a couple nights for our honeymoon. It is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. Service was great! The rooms were very very clean and the beds were very comfortable. A Very classy and romantic hotel. I will stay there again for sure the next time we come up to Maine. A++++ If you want a nice placeto stay in Maine then go to the Portalnd Harbor Hotel. You will not regret it!

Reviewed August 18, 2010

after being booked at the nightmare-ish Eastland Park Hotel due to conference overflow, this lovely hotel was a dream. the wonderful staff quickly got a room cleaned and allowed us to check in at 10am. The entire stay was great. I would absolutely stay again

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank maddiehawaii
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Nice location! Great shower! Ask to be on the garden side as it can be noisy if facing the city.

Reviewed August 7, 2010

Each year I come to Portland to run a race in nearby Cape Elizabeth. This year, I decided to splurge on a nice hotel in Portland. The common areas are indeed nice as are the rooms, but the street noise at night was unbearable. We had to get up at 5AM and we had exactly 3 hours of sleep. In addition, I was surprised to find that in a purportedly 4 star hotel, the bed linens were not even pressed, they looked like they just came out of the dryer. The comforter on the bed was stained (we removed it) and I had to call housekeeping for a hair dryer, which arrived 15 minutes later. When I brought these issues to the attention of the front desk upon checkout, they expressed concern. I expected a call from the management as I had gotten a call from them to "remind" me of my reservation. None forthcoming.
By the way, the bill including a $16.00 charge for valet parking was over $300, for one night.
A very over-rated hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Runner03833
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I confess to being particular about my hotels and was quite excited to stay here - both because of its website and past traveler reviews. While PHH was clean and nice, it just didn't quite hit the mark for providing a top-quality experience to match its top-tier price.

Our room was off in an annex building with some offices which was weird, but we realized it had benefits - floor-to-ceiling windows and more contemporary styling. But it was really loud (we could hear seagulls fly by, traffic, the room next door getting room service late at night) and we had to have the engineers in repeatedly to fix problems (no cold water, AC not working). Oh, and the wifi is "not reliable" in the annex (meaning it doesn't work - all this for almost $300 a night!).

We didn't bother with the restaurant but did break down and order room service dessert one night. The "shortcake" was leaden and cold (and uneaten). Need I say more?

Net it is an OK hotel but does not justify its price. So unless you get an amazing deal, you might look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple