“Something Missing”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was looking forward to staying with my wife in a 2013 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence hotel. The Portland Harbor Hotel promotes this fact at their hotel as well as their website. This hotel is very nice and our room was well-decorated and clean. However, my issues are more with the attitude of the staff and management which are not consistent with a premier hotel. We only had one night in Portland and it was my wife's birthday. I called the concierge earlier in the day asking for a restaurant recommendation and she recommended a restaurant outside of the Old Port District. I was surprised the concierge did not recommend the hotel's restaurant which we understand is highly regarded. The restaurant hostess acted as though we did not have a reservation and after a considerable wait we were finally shown to an unacceptable table (a subject for another review). We left the restaurant and eventually had a substandard meal at restaurant close to the hotel. Upon our return to the hotel, we did go to the front desk manager and explained what had happened. While she was sympathetic, she couldn't explain why the concierge didn't even suggest their own restaurant and made no effort of any kind to address our poor experience. When we checked out the next morning we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay. Upon our return home, we received a survey which I completed very thoroughly explaining my issues with the concierge while also complimenting the valets who were very good. That was over six weeks ago and I have not received any response from the hotel manager. Based on our stay, the hotel concierge, staff and manager are not concerned in providing an exceptional customer experience.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ray D
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I agree with you, our staff should recommend our restaurant. However, many of our guests get upset when we suggest Eve's at the Garden when the reason for their inquiry was to find information about other local options. We will address the issue with our team. We regret your experience with a local restaurant was not satisfactory. I will also look for your survey and apologize for not being in touch sooner. Please feel free to call me directly with any of your concerns.

Thank you again for your business. We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Portland Harbor Hotel

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Portland Harbor Hotel is centrally-located with nice clean rooms and a friendly staff. I only stayed for one night but I would definitely return! Stay in one of the garden-view rooms if you're there for the weekend. You don't hear the street noise.

Room Tip: If you're there over a weekend, get a garden room, you don't hear the noise from the street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to return. We hope you do too!

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. Shower door seal needs to be replaced but the bed is comfortable and the room is clean. Food is good in dinning room. I have stayed in better but would return and try a different room. Honeymoon suite is where we stayed.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here for a single night as part of our New England road trip. Payed the same price as our lovely 5* hotel in Boston and twice the price of the previous night in a very good hotel further down the Maine Coast. Don't understand how this can be (we did have a third party book for us & we assumed there'd be a reason for the pricing - now can't understand it!)
Centrally located hotel in pleasant small town. The concierge, David, gave great advice.
The room here was generally fine and the bathroom was a very good size (but the shower leaked) but I have 2 issues.
Firstly, why is it necessary to charge $16 to park. Had I realised I might have tried to save myself this fee. The sum does seem excessive for such a small town. Grumpy valets.
Secondly - noise. The plumbing and heating systems are very noisy with pipes seeming to cross the ceiling but worse than that was the acoustic from our neighbouring room. The occupant was quiet but I could tell what he was watching on TV, when he was using the bathroom and exactly (yes, exactly) what he was doing in there - not good enough!
Finally, the 'turn down' service that we heard (noise again) in the corridor seemed to miss us.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin M

Thank you for your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear about the noise from the pipes, we will check into that immediately. The fees for parking are standard for downtown Portland. In our instance we lease the garage space, we do not own those spots. I'll pass along your praise to David, our concierge.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Having stayed previously at a top Boston Hotel, this felt a little more parochial and was not quite of the same standard. Nevertheless, the staff were very helpful and after a false start the courtesy car proved really useful. The location is just a block off the main harbour road, so very good for restaurants and places of interest. The bar/restaurant was cosy, although the menu for dinner a little pretentious for our tastes, but appreciate that others may be more impressed. Although no "wow" factor, overall a good place to stay when visiting Portland.

Room Tip: We chose a suite with garden view, but in fact it was on a corner with two roads either side, so a l...
1  Thank David C

I am glad you found the complimentary car service helpful and our location convenient. We hope to see you again, thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I recently spent Friday and Saturday night her in Portland. Service was excellent, location was in walking distance of many fine eating establishments, and the hotel breakfast was excellent. The Starbucks coffee in each hall was very nice. My wife loved the thick bathrobe and the slippers. The parking and valet service was inexpensive and everything was what you would expect at a top notch hotel.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The first thing you need to know about this hotel is that they stand behind their product and will work with you to make your experience at their property a wonderful one. Located exactly where you want to be in the Old Port, the PHH offers quick access to outstanding restaurants, coffee shops, galleries, and shopping. My wife and I love the fact that they offer a complimentary sedan service to the local area. Though we would walk to dinner, all we would do is call the car when we were settling our bill and they were there before we knew it. Also, when you compare apples to apples, the PHH is an outstanding value as rooms at the chain hotels nearby are just as expensive, not centrally located, and don't have all the perks. With a new hotel being built accross the street and the historic Eastland being converted to a Westin, the PHH will need to continue stepping up the service in order to remain relavent.

Room Tip: Having stayed in another area of the hotel on a previous visit, we prefer the rooms in the executive...