“Very nice”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I just finished a 2-day stay at the PHH for business. As others have said, the service is excellent. Everyone I encountered went out of their way to be helpful and to ask if I was enjoying my stay at the hotel. It is very, very clear that the hotel has a strong training program and high expectations for the staff. Our meeting room was great. Lots of attention to detail, including duct taping projection cords to ensure no tripping. My room was on the second floor facing Wharf St. I was there on a Monday and Tuesday night and found it to be very quiet. I'm guessing it might not be so on the weekends when the nightlife is more active. The bathroom was fabulous - beautiful glass shower stall and huge soaking tub - that filled with hot water. So why 4 stars instead of 5? Bed and pillows - kind of key, in my opinion. The pillows were little and very thin and smushy - for lack of a better word. I wasn't the only person in my group that complained about them either. As for the bed, the linens were great and I didn't wake up in discomfort but for the price, I expected something a little bit nicer. The rooms are nicely appointed but, as others have said, the furniture is way too big for the space, making the room feel smaller than it actually is. One tip - the hotel has bikes you can borrow while you are there. I wish I had known about this earlier - there's a great path around the East End that's flat and very scenic - I highly recommend it. All in all, a very nice experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view room on an upper floor to avoid late night noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Portland Harbor Hotel for your recent stay and meeting. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the service and the amenities.

I wanted to let you know that we have just received new pillows for our guest rooms, they are much fuller.

We hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Portland Harbor Hotel

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a very elegant hotel in the old style. The rooms are very nice -- hardwood floors, comfortable bed, attractive bathroom. The restaurant is very elegant as are the common areas. My only suggestion would be a larger front desk to accommodate more guest interaction. They currently use the front desk for everything, including concierge service, so you can get caught behind someone who requires lots of help. Everyone was very nice and I am sure they are trying to maintain an elegant atmosphere, but there must be a way to do this better. Still, for an elegant, comfortable hotel close to the Portland waterfront, I highly recommend this one.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms seem to face the front of the hotel, but I was on the back and it was fine. Try...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I had the nicest time at the Portland Harbor Hotel. The rooms were clean and well appointed and the bathroom's deep soaking tub was a delight after a night on the town. A vast improvement over more generic hotel rooms.
What distinguishes the hotel is truly the service though. From Donald at the desk, to Adam in the garage, everyone was so helpful, and the included car service to our restaurant was an unexpected but welcome perk. The lobby was warm and inviting, and Eve's was a fantastic outdoor spot where the food was amazing (the duck confit waffle was delicious.) We took over our table for the better part of the day with friends, and we never once felt rushed or out of place. It was one of the most relaxed days I have ever spent, and surrounded by such pretty gardens and fountains.
It is noisy at night if in a room facing the street, but I wasn't troubled by this, and there were complimentary ear plugs should anyone be a lighter sleeper.
Cannot recommend highly enough, and we will certainly come back.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Best hotel in Portland ! I' ve been hear few times and everything is perfect !
I brought few friends with me and loved it !
The rooms are very clean and up to date . I will highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I read the reviews on tripadvisor prior to booking and was hoping for the construction to be complete. There is not construction in the hotel but directly across the street. The noise starts at about 8 am and we were awake by then. The real noise was out in the hallway! We were in the living room suite on the third floor which is right by where the housekeeping team"parks" in the morning (very early), ready's their carts, and has their morning chat. My son was sleeping in the living room pull out couch where he could hear them clearly and my husband/I were in the bedroom, with the door shut where we could hear their muffled discussions. Hotel management needs to do something about this!! The rooms were nice and small but very clean. The location is excellent within walking distance of shopping, food, morning coffee, etc. We would come back and stay here as long as the housekeeping staff was coached about their morning routines.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We greatly appreciate your feedback. Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered. I am very disappointed to learn that our housekeeping staff morning routine disturbed what otherwise sounded like a great visit. I will certainly address the issue with our housekeeping team.

I'm relieved to learn that the area construction was not too disruptive, construction work is always difficult for us because we do not know which days will be noisy and which will not.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we hope you will return and enjoy a late morning sleep in with us.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were in Portland during the first week in August 2013. Very crowded (beach to beacon run) Great place and staff is excellent. Right downtown. We ate at the Italian rest. next door which was very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2013

excellence hotel right in the middle of the "Old Port" section of Portland with superb service in every aspect. the concierge desk deserves a special "shout out". i am a native of Portland and they gave us wonderful advice and service !

Room Tip: be sure and ask for a courtyard room! street facing rooms on north side of hotel faces a very no...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We will be sure to pass along your thanks to our concierge team, they work hard to know everything about Portland and will be glad to know you were happy with their suggestions. Thank you for staying at the Portland Harbor Hotel, we hope to see you again.