“Went for business- probably better for relaxation”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Portland
bethesda, md
“Went for business- probably better for relaxation”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had a business meeting in Portland and this was also our meeting hotel. The sleeping rooms were nice and clean. The bathroom was spotless and large. My view was of the roof and a construction site, but I didn't have any of the noise, so I didn't mind. I enjoyed the free coffee on the floor by 7am. As mentioned, I also participated in several meetings at this hotel and the meeting room space was OK. The staff were friendly, but slow to get back to you, including the tech av staff. I think they just have a different sense of time. The meeting rooms were small, and despite letting them know in advance our final count and room set up requirements, it wasn't until the week of our meetings that they indicated it might be a bit cramped. We had a transition in hotel contact and once onsite, other than my initiative to meet the onsite contact, I never saw here.
This hotel also only has ONE elevator and the backlog on getting up and down was incredible. Stairs were difficult to find and we were discouraged from using them. One computer sits in the lobby and there is no business center to speak of. The concierge was extremely unhelpful.
The location, however, is great and it is easy to walk to the various neighborhoods. Ample restaurants, shops and microbrews in the area - don't eat at the hotel.
I think this hotel would be much better suited for the vacation traveler - if I was there for a weekend get away, I would have enjoyed my room and the location. My complaints are centered around the meeting aspect of my stay.

Room Tip: check that construction is completed and if not, request a room away from the noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tikidream

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Lovely, boutique hotel. Smell of gardenias as you walk up the staircase. Pleasant lobby, dining area, and courtyard. Excellent location. Had a first floor room which had its own private terrace area. Staff was exceptionally helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank camdenrockportfoodie
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Loved this place for getting to know Portland, central to everything and next door to great bakery! Across from ferry public dock and close to all the great nightlife. I would highly recommend to anyone as the perfect location to get anywhere in Portland

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tim G
Nottingham, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here one night with my fiance since he was there for a work meeting.
The hotel is nice. The lobby has a very lovely atmosphere, as does the bar/restaurant area. They have a quaint outdoor courtyard area with tables as well. (Drink prices at happy hour as very reasonable at $5 for a martini)

The location is perfect to walk around the Old Port area (where there are plenty of shops and restaurants). It's only a block or so from the water.

Parking is easy right at the hotel, however the mandatory valet is a little upsetting considering they park your car about 30 feet from where you pull in. I definitely could've done that myself and not paid $16+tip for it. I must say though the valet was extremely courteous.

Our room was standard...king bed, small loveseat, coffee table and desk, with an armoire cabinet for clothes and a small tv. Bathroom was decent with a separate tub and shower and ample counterspace. The shower does splash on the floor though, leaving the bathmat soaked by the time you step out. Not a huge deal, but noticeable. The only negative I'd mention about this room was the location. We were on the first floor not far from the bar/restaurant and on the street side of the building. You can definitely hear street noise (including a night club on the next block) with the windows closed. If quiet is a must for you be sure to ask for a room on the courtyard side.

Wi-fi is complementary (but spotty). Make-you-own coffee in the lobby each morning. Newspapers are also complementary, as is in-town car service (and bicycles too I believe).

I was not unimpressed by any means...it wasn't perfect, but I would stay again now knowing the few little quirks to be sure to address ahead of time.

Room Tip: We were in 117 which is on the street side and not quiet at night. If I stay here again, I would ask...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank KtotheRisten
Indialantic, Florida
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This elegant hotel is a gem. Every aspect of our stay was perfect--from the initial greeting to the immaculate, well appointed room to the friendly and professional service; attention was paid to every detail. The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance of many restaurants and shops and even the Friday night street art show; however, complimentary car service is also available if necessary. Most impressive to us was the quality of service and attention by all the staff at all levels--everyone was incredible, helpful and cordial. And the restaurant and bar are not to be missed--terrific food and service and a fun place to have a drink and people watch. We will definitely be returning--we've traveled over the world and the Portland Harbor Hotel is definitely five stars.

Sue and Richard

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Property was great! From the Valet guys to Donald at the front desk (who let us tour some rooms before making a decision) to a quick and easy check out, this was a great stay, The room and bathroom were spacious, clean and comfortable. The king size bed was very comfortable, and the hotel's location couldn't be better. I would definitely recommend this to anyone staying in Portland.

1 Thank Sean R
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your stay, we’re glad you had a great time and appreciate the referral. We will be sure to tell Donald about your positive experience. Please come visit us again soon.
Boston
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've stayed at most every hotel in the Old Port over the last couple of years and was really disappointed by the PHH. It is in a great location, is relatively new and the pre-check in was impressive (a phone call to welcome me upon booking, multiple emails about my upcoming stay). We were deciding between two hotels for our Portland wedding and I was really looking forward to our stay, but the amenities I was expecting just didn't materialize. First, check-in isn't until 4 and checkout at 11 -this is about an hour later on check-in, and one our earlier on check-out, than the other hotel, which when you're away for a couple of nights really does matter. 2. They allow dogs. In theory, fantastic-I own and love my dogs, but when I travel with them, I don't leave them in the hotel room when I'm out. As I found out Saturday night, the PHH doesn't require that you take your dogs with you if you're not in the hotel, because there was a lonely dog right across the hall that started barking when we got off the elevator and didn't stop until its owners came home hours later-the complete opposite of a relaxing stay. 3. I called to take advantage of the in-town car and...no answer. called guest services and they called the valet, no answer. so, no car and no timeframe on when it might be available. 4. the a/c was so loud it almost drowned out the dog-seriously, my fiance asked if it was just our room that sounded like a plane was taking off out of it or....5. they double billed me for a one night stay and 5. the sales folks never returned my voicemails about hosting my post wedding brunch....while many of these things were minor irritants, together, they just meant failure in service, which is what the PHH seems to try to differentiate itself with. The room was nice and all our noise was from within the hotel as we were in a courtyard view; as others have noted, it is nice that the floor wasn't wall to wall carpeting, but nothing in the room was a stand out from the other new hotels in the Old Port-as so many have been constructed in the last few years. While I'll be in town every few weeks until the wedding, I know where I won't be choosing to stay.

5 Thank Lolcle