“Great stay in Portland”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great stay in Portland”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Property was great! From the Valet guys to Donald at the front desk (who let us tour some rooms before making a decision) to a quick and easy check out, this was a great stay, The room and bathroom were spacious, clean and comfortable. The king size bed was very comfortable, and the hotel's location couldn't be better. I would definitely recommend this to anyone staying in Portland.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sean R
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your stay, we’re glad you had a great time and appreciate the referral. We will be sure to tell Donald about your positive experience. Please come visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've stayed at most every hotel in the Old Port over the last couple of years and was really disappointed by the PHH. It is in a great location, is relatively new and the pre-check in was impressive (a phone call to welcome me upon booking, multiple emails about my upcoming stay). We were deciding between two hotels for our Portland wedding and I was really looking forward to our stay, but the amenities I was expecting just didn't materialize. First, check-in isn't until 4 and checkout at 11 -this is about an hour later on check-in, and one our earlier on check-out, than the other hotel, which when you're away for a couple of nights really does matter. 2. They allow dogs. In theory, fantastic-I own and love my dogs, but when I travel with them, I don't leave them in the hotel room when I'm out. As I found out Saturday night, the PHH doesn't require that you take your dogs with you if you're not in the hotel, because there was a lonely dog right across the hall that started barking when we got off the elevator and didn't stop until its owners came home hours later-the complete opposite of a relaxing stay. 3. I called to take advantage of the in-town car and...no answer. called guest services and they called the valet, no answer. so, no car and no timeframe on when it might be available. 4. the a/c was so loud it almost drowned out the dog-seriously, my fiance asked if it was just our room that sounded like a plane was taking off out of it or....5. they double billed me for a one night stay and 5. the sales folks never returned my voicemails about hosting my post wedding brunch....while many of these things were minor irritants, together, they just meant failure in service, which is what the PHH seems to try to differentiate itself with. The room was nice and all our noise was from within the hotel as we were in a courtyard view; as others have noted, it is nice that the floor wasn't wall to wall carpeting, but nothing in the room was a stand out from the other new hotels in the Old Port-as so many have been constructed in the last few years. While I'll be in town every few weeks until the wedding, I know where I won't be choosing to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lolcle
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

In Portland with my wife for an event at The State Theatre. We loved our stay in every way. I wish there were a similar hotel in other cool New England cities like Burlington, Northampton, or Portsmouth but everything pales in comparison.
Wonderful friendly service. Heavenly beds. Central location. Even complementary coffee and tea every morning on each floor. Turn in with chocolate lobsters on the pillow. Visit Portland again just to stay here!

• Stayed April 2013
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Portland Harbor Hotel is a beautiful hotel, with a great staff. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating, and the hotel was very clean and sleek. Our room was impeccable, bed was comfy, flat screen tv, and a very nice bathroom.

The hotel is located right in the middle of the restaurants and bars, a block up from the water, and very conveniently located. All of the restaurants and shops are a block away, making this a great location,

While the location was perfect for my situation, I could see that this may cause a slight problem for others. Our room was facing "downtown" not the "garden view" and being so close to places that are open late-night, there were several places that had their music very loud until the bar closed, which could be a problem for some.

Overall, this was a beautiful hotel that I would definitely go back to again. Portland is a great little town with lots to do, and I will certainly be returning to explore more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gorham NH
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Did not know much about the place when we booked, but this charming hotel more than exceeded my hopes! Had a short but fantastic get away. Welcome was warm yet professional , Albert at the front desk very helpful. Room was not large but pleasant, nice decor.Loved the flooring (laminate, I think). Spacious bathroom. View was poor, but did get a great deal on the room, so no complaints. Lovely afternoon treat brought to the room, great turndown , wifi just ok but free which ironically, is unusual in a high end hotel. Lovely breakfast, well priced. Even the coffee was good! Will definitely be back...

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 9, 2013

After searching long and hard for the right weekend getaway hotel in Portland, we finally settled on the PHH. We were not disappointed! Clean, comfortable, solid, lots of charm with none of the kitsch, friendly staff, and a great in-hotel restaurant made this place the perfect spot. We were delighted to find a room with NO wall-to-wall carpeting. The bathtub was deep and luxurious, the shower was separate. We booked late in the game, so had to settle for a city-side room. To their credit, the front desk was very upfront and open about the noise levels coming from the nightclub across the street at night. "How long will it last?" I asked. "Till 1:30 a.m." was my answer. I almost didn't believe it, except that I'd read other reviews on TA that talked about the noise level. I was okay with it. If you're prepared, or if you're a deep sleeper, this aspect won't bother you if you end up in a city side room. The bed was dreamy. My husband and I slept soundly.

Location can't be beat. You are right in Old Port convenient to everything. When we checked out and went to pick up our car, we weren't really ready to leave Portland. The valet told us we could leave the car free of charge all day if we wanted to walk around town. A nicety we appreciated.

Breakfast at Eve's was delicious and reasonable. Our waiter was friendly, courteous, and efficient. There was a fire blazing in the fireplace. The atmosphere was warm and comfortable.

Room Tip: Garden room for quiet.